MCX preference will only working at 'every login'

myronjoffe
Contributor III

We are in the process of migrating from OD to Casper MCX. (JSS 8.43)

We have an issue with a couple preferences. For instance: .GlobalPreferences - Show All Extensions. Even though they are set to 'next login only' will act as if its set to every login.

This will occur on 10.6 and 10.7. Occurs on our live JSS and dev JSS. Flushing the MCX cache does not help either.

Any ideas?

PS: the complete.plist file within /Library/Managed Preferences/ gets re-created everytime at login??

22 REPLIES 22

tsd25108
New Contributor II

This actually happened with our Desktop Background MCX as well. I'm kind of curious to see if anyone has been able to resolve this.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Saw this too. (with the desktop background).

I temporarily fixed by removing & then reading the mcx.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I'm seeing this as well with dock items. Jamf reproduced it and filed a defect for me so I'll be watching the release notes of the next update.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

The defect numbers are D-002808 and D-002809

talkingmoose

Interesting. MCX "next login only" was broken in 7.2x, fixed in 7.30 and broken again in 7.31. It's broken again in 8.43?

Seems to be a recurring problem.

myronjoffe
Contributor III

We also replicated the problem on our dev box in 8.52

myronjoffe
Contributor III

After further troubleshooting. Local accounts are not affected. Only AD network accounts. Any ideas?

aaronk
New Contributor

we are seeing the same thing with AD accounts here.

Chris
Valued Contributor

+1

frozenarse
Contributor II

Woo Hoo! It's not just me! Hopefully this is resolved soon so i'm not constantly resetting changes users are making.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Not to revive an old thread, but has there been any known resolution to this? I'm seeing this too with a screensaver MCX setting, specifically setting the default module. Its set to User Level at Next Login Only and I'm seeing it get applied at every login. We've moved to 8.6 of the JSS, and I'm still seeing it. I deleted and recreated them, but the setting still gets pushed every time to our Macs, so apparently this wasn't fixed in 8.6? For something like a screensaver, its just an annoyance, but could pose bigger issues for other MCX settings.

talkingmoose

My only comment is that this is more a problem with JAMF's QA testing. They're repeatedly not catching it and their development keeps breaking it.

This specific issue has been bugged since at least Casper 7.2, fixed, bugged again, fixed, bugged again... I think this is the fourth or fifth time now.

I suggest complaining to your account manager about this one and pointing him or her to this thread.

bentoms

Still seeing the issue here, i'm using the below to test:

Display Name: Magic Mouse 2 Button Application Domain: com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.mouse Key Name: MouseButtonMode Key Type: string Key Value: TwoButton

JSS is 8.6, clients are 10.6.x, 10.7.x & 10.8.x.

The once setting works "sometimes" if all users do is logout then back in. So they change the setting, log out.. log in & it's still changed.

But if they do a restart, the setting is often reapplied.. it's like the Mac on a restart contacts the JSS for the MCX settings.. then re-applies them.. :(

This also seems to be with only AD mobile accounts, our local admin account is not affected (it's our only local account).

Onto account managed now!

timmohr
New Contributor

Hello,

Unfortunately this bug still seems to be alive and well in Casper 8.64.

I have spoken to our account manager at JAMF and he has confirmed that this is currently marked as a defect.

Has anyone managed to find any workarounds to this issue?

Thanks
Tim

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

This was only affecting me for dock management. I completely ditched using MCX for dock management and moved to a logon script using dockutil. It's worked well, but I did have to invest some significant time into getting dockutil to do everything I wanted.

bentoms

Have a look @ my feature request, https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=45

Also look @ the jamf login hooks.

JAMF MCX is refreshed @ every login & so once works the same as often.

timmohr
New Contributor
This was only affecting me for dock management. I completely ditched using MCX for dock management and moved to a logon script using dockutil. It's worked well, but I did have to invest some significant time into getting dockutil to do everything I wanted.

Dockutil is awesome! I am also needing MCX primarily for customised docks for our various different teaching departments... about 15 all with completely different docks. This could be painful but it may be the only way!

Have a look @ my feature request, https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=45 Also look @ the jamf login hooks. JAMF MCX is refreshed @ every login & so once works the same as often.

I had already actually voted that one up! Hope it happens one day. I am already using login hooks to trigger other "non user" specific actions and preferences. Unfortunately due to how dmgs work its too complicated to deploy them to specific users (ie not using the user template)... hence why we turned to MCX which was designed for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the replies!

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

Anyone confirm if this is fixed in 8.7?

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

I don't think so. This defect was not mentioned in the release notes.

timmohr
New Contributor

Sorry to revive this old thread... we are still seeing this issue with the latest version of Casper 8.

Just wondering if anyone is seeing this with Casper 9?

bentoms

Still the same in v9.

Please vote up the feature request I linked earlier, still under review since 11/15/11.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@bentoms wrote:

The once setting works "sometimes" if all users do is logout then back in. So they change the setting, log out.. log in & it's still changed. But if they do a restart, the setting is often reapplied.. it's like the Mac on a restart contacts the JSS for the MCX settings.. then re-applies them.. :( But if they do a restart, the setting is often reapplied.. it's like the Mac on a restart contacts the JSS for the MCX settings.. then re-applies them.. :(

Hi Ben, I'm late to this thread, but just curious if this is an open JAMF issue? Regression? Before I open a ticket...

--
https://donmontalvo.com