MDM and Iphone 11

David_davis
New Contributor

Hi Community. I'm a newbie to MDM. I have a few important questions that I need answers to regarding apps. Can my employer log into my personal apps after I download JAMF on my iPhone? Can they see when app was last opened? I just don't know what they can and can't access and I am concerned. Thanks so much. This is the device rights:
These are the rights that were established:
erase all data
lock device
list config
add/remove config
list provisioning
list device info
list network info
list installed apps
list restrictions
list security
apply settings
install and remove apps and data

Questions: Can my employer open my personal apps that were downloaded prior to MDM installation? Can they see when app was last opened? Can they see app passwords? Content?
If app is "hidden" on my phone is it visible to my company?

5 REPLIES 5

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

No.
No.
No.
No.
Yes.

David_davis
New Contributor

SO they can see everything they just can't access it. Im getting mixed answers on these questions. Yesterday, Cole with Jamf nation said that they could not see my apps and that they could only see the apps that are listed as managed apps. You're saying they can see them all...the managed and unmanaged.

David_davis
New Contributor

This is my third communication with Jamf...Th first person said that my apps were visible to my employer. The second person said that my employer can see a list of all of my apps even those that are deleted/hidden. You are saying that they see everything...Which is it?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Your employer should really be answering these questions.

One thing I am interested in knowing is if this iPhone is personally owned or company owned. A personal device I can understand the issues and jamf & Apple certainly have an enrollment procedure that can squelch a lot of your privacy issues. A company owned device is another thing altogether and you sign over some of your privacy rights when you use one.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

JAMF can't be used to look at what you're "doing". There's no access to your browsing history, how long you've been on each app (although you can on a Mac). You can see all apps, both managed and unmanaged. You're signed up to allow the company to send you updates, change settings, and put on restrictions. They cannot see how much time you're spending on TikTok or Grindr, just that it's an installed app on your phone.

Since you're posting about this and obviously not a JAMF admin, let me leave you with a piece of advice: If you don't want your work to see something, eliminate that something, don't try to obfuscate or hide your actions. If that's a work phone, your best bet is to follow company procedures to a T. Don't try to game the system, don't run some half-assed VPN to hide your activity. Just. Work.