Menu Bar Disappears on logout freezing computer

CapU
Contributor III

This is driving me crazy. My students go to logout and the machine seems to hang. The menu bar disappears so they can't attempt to restart the machine. So they pull the power plug and leave it like that.
Has anyone else heard of this issue. I created a new Menu Bar and pushed it to the labs. The lab tech said it fixed on some but for the most part it's still happening. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Moe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like something else is causing the Macs to hang at logout. The menu bar isn't likely to be the root cause.

From what I've seen it's either a connection to a network service that won't let go, an app that won't quit completely, or a piece of hardware connected that is interfering.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

What do you mean you pushed out a new Menu Bar?

CapU
Contributor III

Using Composer, I created a Menu Bar and used Casper Remote to deploy to the lab

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Created a Menu Bar? I really don't know what you mean by this. Do you mean a menu bar item, like an icon that sits in the menu?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like something else is causing the Macs to hang at logout. The menu bar isn't likely to be the root cause.

From what I've seen it's either a connection to a network service that won't let go, an app that won't quit completely, or a piece of hardware connected that is interfering.

CapU
Contributor III

Then it must be the network connection. Our Instructors want IT to hold the students hand and put the network location on the students desktop instead of instructing them on how to get to the network.

miami_engineeri
New Contributor

It isn't network related.

• Log out does not work and Menu disappears
  • Opening an application makes the menu black and inaccessible.
  • Opening System Preferences then makes the menu appear and accessible.
  • I choose log out again and nothing- menu disappears

However,

If I have "Show Fast User Switching" Enabled, I can choose to go to the login window and logon as somebody else.

Yet, the current user is stuck there and will not log off.

I have this system by itself on a collection group for testing and only two policies applied.

I am still troubleshooting and am yet to find root cause.