Methods for deploying MS Office 2011 14.3 Update

johnklimeck
Contributor II

We already have an Office 2011 14.2.5 pkg we created with Composer and deliver via Self-Service, and is also part of our config in Casper Imaging.

I am wondering how admins are handling the updates that come out, as in the recent 14.3 from 14.2.5.

What are some of the methods of deploying the 14.3 update. Are people just creating a new complete 14.3 pkg and reinstalling via policy or self-service, or just pushing out the 14.3 update. I am interested in the update process.

thanks in advance

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Hi John,

I modify the Microsoft installer as documented here:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/removing-the-office-2011-installers-application-quit-fun...

Then push out via policy with Casper. We don't have Self Service deployed yet, but I've been populating all patches and updates into Self Service for when the decision to go ahead with it comes.

I rebuild my full office installer about 3 times a year, but that's only used with fresh installs and imaging. Deployed computers get the updates.

~Ted

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

taugust04
Valued Contributor

Hi John,

I modify the Microsoft installer as documented here:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/09/26/removing-the-office-2011-installers-application-quit-fun...

Then push out via policy with Casper. We don't have Self Service deployed yet, but I've been populating all patches and updates into Self Service for when the decision to go ahead with it comes.

I rebuild my full office installer about 3 times a year, but that's only used with fresh installs and imaging. Deployed computers get the updates.

~Ted

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Just push the update package from MS. Create a smart group that looks for Office version 14.2.3, 14.2.4 or 14.2.5 and push it out to that group.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

@cbrewer:

Just push the update package from MS. Create a smart group that looks for Office version 14.2.3, 14.2.4 or 14.2.5 and push it out to that group.

If you do this, make sure you trigger at logoff or some time when you know that no browsers or Office applications are open during install or you will get errors.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Anyone else annoyed that they're calling it SP3 and all it does is:

Meeting invitation times are displayed inaccurately in Outlook for Mac Fixes an issue that causes meeting invitation times from non-Exchange calendar servers to be off by one hour during certain times of the year. Slides in collapsed sections cover other slides in Slide Sorter view in PowerPoint for Mac Fixes a display issue that involves collapsed sections in Slide Sorter view. Hash tags (#) in hyperlinks aren't saved correctly in PowerPoint for Mac Fixes an issue in which hyperlinks that contain hash tags (#) aren't saved correctly. Crash occurs when you use Paste Special with a partial table in PowerPoint for Mac Fixes an issue that causes PowerPoint to crash when you use the Paste Special option to copy and paste part of a table. RTF text that's saved in PowerPoint for Windows can't be pasted into PowerPoint for Mac Fixes an issue in which RTF text that's saved in PowerPoint for Windows can't be copied and pasted into PowerPoint for Mac.

And it requires 14.2.3. I guess gone are the days where they (briefly) provided rollup-style updates.

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Thanks guys. Worked like a champ. Just tested it via Self-Service, updated 14.2.5 to 14.3.

John

nkalister
Valued Contributor

@Jared- yeah, I was extremely disappointed in the change-log. A few months ago, a MS tech working on a support request with me listed off a bunch of cool things that would be in SP3. None of them are in the list of changes. Bah.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Technically speaking if you can update from 14.2.3 and not need 14.2.5, then it is a rollup update. Yes, not really what we all would consider a rollup update, but the issue is that 14.2.3 was a pretty major update that made a number of database changes and required a rebuild after, so any future updates are going to require 14.2.3 at a minimum.

But yeah, its is a bit bogus they are calling this a service pack when its just a few bug fixes.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm hoping 14.3 can be pushed to logged off Macs? Testing now, will post result shortly.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mm2270
If you do this, make sure you trigger at logoff or some time when you know that no browsers or Office applications are open during install or you will get errors.

FWIW, this update apparently does not require quitting Safari, as every previous Office update has done. I was able to install it with Safari open and never got prompted to close it, nor did it auto quit the browser on me. That's a welcome change.
I did however get a notice that it needed to quit the Office Database Daemon, which I believe all Office updates do anyway. I'm not sure why this one actually tells you it needs to do it instead of just, well... doing it.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor
I'm hoping 14.3 can be pushed to logged off Macs?

Yes, I've pushed it to logged off machines and it installs correctly.

UESCDurandal
Contributor II

I might be alone here, but I've found that using Composer's Pre-Installed Software feature works very well for both imaging and upgrading. I just delete the /User folder from Composer so as not to overwrite their Microsoft User Data folder.

I've been upgrading this way since September and haven't run into any issues.

To upgrade I'll setup one policy to cache the .pkg and another to install at startup. Pretty simple.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@msblake Looks like we are starting with 14.0.0, so I'm assuming these patches would be the easiest path:

14.0.0 > 14.1.0 > 14.2.0 > 14.3.0

This way we avoid the intermediate patches, and we avoid having to snapshoot stuff.

Does that patch order look good to you guys? I know some of you are starting at 14.1.0 or 14.2.0 (lucky you!). :)

Don

--

mm2270

@Don, slight correction. That needs to be:

14.0.0 > 14.1.0 > 14.2.3 > 14.3.0

You can't jump from 14.2.0 to 14.3.0. 14.2.3 was the big update that had major changes in the database, so its required. Otherwise, yeah, that's the way to build up a current version of Office, other than grabbing via Composer's Pre-Installed Software list.

Edit: If you have an enterprise agreement with MS, then I would recommend obtaining an updated full installer from them. I'm not sure what version they actually give you with that though.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@mm2270 Wow, thanks for the correction - the release notes do say you need 14.2.3 (that stinks!). :)

PS, if a company is volume licensed, it should be easy to get the latest ISO/DMG for Office 2011, no? If so I can ask for them to download the latest, might cut down the number of patches required.

[EDIT: Did you just read my mind?! LOLOL]

Don

--

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

FYI, if you've got access to volume licensing they *should* provide a fully up-to-date streamlined installer for you. Depending on what you're upgrading from, that may help instead of rolling many many patches.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

jared - thanks for the reminder about the volume licensing. I totally forgot that they offer mac downloads there too.

Chris
Valued Contributor
FYI, if you've got access to volume licensing they *should* provide a fully up-to-date streamlined installer for you.

Thanks Jared!
It doesn't seem to be available yet, i'm only getting the SP2 streamlined installer.
Anyone else having better luck?

wmateo
Contributor

what about during imaging process? I have a 14.2.3 package I created, and the incremental updates from MS, I uploaded to casper admin. But I don't see to have luck with the install