Microsoft Auto Updater 4.4

hkabik
Valued Contributor

b1c4024cac264f2080cab354a16ff5d5
Is anyone able to update apps using the msupdate -i command after updating to MAU 4.4?

It no longer finds updates even though my apps are all 16.17 and when I msupdate -c... it's blank despite my com.microsoft.autoupdate2 plist being populated correctly and with the Office 2019 app array correctly listed.

msupdate finds nothing, while MAU via GUI finds all the updates I need.

O365 licensing. Happens on 10.13 and 10.14 with 100% repeatability. Have no 10.12 machines to test on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hkabik
Valued Contributor

So the issue was the Office AutoUpdater config profile. It had a "Last check" entry in it. Once that was removed, bob's your uncle. All other issues went away.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

hkabik
Valued Contributor

My com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist reads

{
    AppExitGraceful = 1;
    Applications =     {
        "/Applications/Microsoft Excel.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = XCEL2019;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Applications/Microsoft OneNote.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = ONMC2019;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Applications/Microsoft Outlook.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = OPIM2019;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Applications/Microsoft PowerPoint.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = PPT32019;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = MSRD10;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Applications/Microsoft Word.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = MSWD2019;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Applications/Skype for Business.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = MSFB16;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app" =         {
            "Application ID" = MSau03;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
        "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Silverlight.plugin" =         {
            "Application ID" = SLVT;
            LCID = 1033;
        };
    };
    EnableCheckForUpdatesButton = 1;
    HowToCheck = Manual;
    LastService = "2018-10-17 17:35:50 +0000";
    OSLocale = "en_US";
    OSVersion = "10.14";
    SendAllTelemetryEnabled = 1;
    SessionBuildNumber = 181014;
    SessionDuration = "6.005277991294861";
    SessionId = "C2F49D86-60D4-4239-AB4A-EF2192B250AF";
    SessionStartTime = "10/17/2018 17:36:15.327";
    SessionVersion = "4.4";
    StartDaemonOnAppLaunch = 1;
    WindowsAzureMobileServicesInstallationId = "9D3E56A5-83EC-441D-AE01-F482107A472D";
    nexusUDDate = "545163868.225234";
}

But when I msupdate -c I get:

Checking configuration...
{
}

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

Same here... just updated MAU to 4.4 and run in the user context

TestMac:MacOS name.surname$ ./msupdate -l
Checking for updates...
No updates available

Whereas the GUI correctly shows new 16.18 updates available
Everything used to work perfectly with MAU 4.3.18090901 and 16.17 apps

Thank you!
Carlo

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

This is a popular topic in the #microsoft-office channel on the MacAdmins Slack. For some people the issue is the updates are still propagating through the content delivery network and eventually things just work. For some it seems to be an issue with their msupdate configuration. What does ./msupdate -c report on your machine?

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley
Many thanks, this is what I get, looks like empty so there must be something wrong after updating MAU... any hint would be very appreciated!

TestMac:MacOS name.surname$ ./msupdate -c
{
}

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi You should check with the folks from Microsoft in the #microsoft-office MacAdmins Slack channel. The empty configuration has been mentioned by several users there, but I don't think there has been a solution posted.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley Thank you, yes so far no solution posted on #microsoft-office channel... let's see what comes up.
Have a nice weekend everyone!

hkabik
Valued Contributor

I get:

./msupdate -c
{
}

as well.

The MS guys on slack have been really available but so far have not been able to help me at all. The 4.4 has ground my MS Office patching to a halt.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I might recommend trying to get @pbowden to look at this thread and make suggestions since I believe he runs the Mac development for O365 and has really helped us a lot in the past.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

hkabik
Valued Contributor

To clarify... running msupdate locally no longer works.
Paul Bowden's msupdatehelper for jamf script no longer works.
Even setting the MAU to automatically download and install doesn't seem to update apps anymore.

The whole thing is just busted unless manually running the updates from the GUI.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

@gshackney @pbowden is on the case, reached out about it today.

I was going to bug him about it at JNUC too. ;)

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Great!
Say hi from me if you see him. He really has been a big help to us.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

hkabik
Valued Contributor

Paul just solved this, I'll update in a minute.

hkabik
Valued Contributor

So the issue was the Office AutoUpdater config profile. It had a "Last check" entry in it. Once that was removed, bob's your uncle. All other issues went away.

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@hkabik thank you for posting the solution!!!!!
Many thanks to pbowden too. Great!

metalfoot77
Contributor II

Hi @hkabik,

I just made a new package with the 16.18 versions (2019) of our Office apps we use. I pushed it and also a separate package for MAU 4.4 to a couple test machines.

My question is... what config profile are you referring to as I don't seem to have any for Office in my instance with exception of the "MAU Fully Managed" one that pbowden recommends for turning off manual updates by a user.

tharr00
New Contributor II

Are you saying it's been repaired in the MAU's code and we just push the latest MAU to users or use a script/command to alter the setting?

talkingmoose

@kricotta, have a look at my earlier post. It may help.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/29924/office-2016-autoupdate#responseChild175068

Paul's fully managed plist is a good one to start with. But you can also include an app array to pre-register all the apps with MAU without having to launch them first.

Kristopher
New Contributor III

@talkingmoose

The plist you linked, do you have a link on how to include that in an office package? Would be nice to set MAU to MANUAL so the user can still check for updates if they want but all updates are pushed out by Jamf normally.

Thanks!

talkingmoose

@Kristopher, is there a reason you would want to deploy the plist to your Macs instead of a configuration profile? A configuration profile would be much easier.

Just save the text of the plist in a file named exactly "com.microsoft.autoupdate2". I suggest you use BBEdit, Atom or another plain text editor and not use Apple's TextEdit application.

Then create a new configuration profile, add the Custom Settings payload from the list in the middle and upload the plist. Deploy that to a test machine and see what you think.

EdLuo
Contributor II

I ran into the same issue with macOS 10.14.1. Running msupdate -c returned "No result returned from Update Assistant". Received the same message when running msupdate -l. I do not have Last Check entry in com.microsoft.autoupdate2

I tried
- testing with ver 4.4
- testing with ver 4.5
- defaults delete com.microsoft.autoupdate2 LastUpdate
- defaults delete com.microsoft.autoupdate2 LastService
- copied over a confirmed working com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist

Microsoft Autoupdate (GUI) works fine but I am interested in the command line tool to manage updates for our remote users. Is this a bug with 10.14.1?

Just_Jack
Contributor

I have the autoupdate2.plist up and running, but I'm still getting a pop-up window asking to Turn On AutoUpdate.

6d549e25c5884c57b7a6906863b7e7bc

I have my plist set to

<key>HowToCheck</key> <string>Automatic</string> <key>DisableInsiderCheckbox</key> <true/>

How do I disable this pop-up?