Migration from jamf pro to jamf school

user-BLtYMYkAKd
New Contributor

Hello to all,
I am currently switching from jamf pro to jamf school, but the problem is that when I restore the backup of an iPad the jamf pro profile takes the place of the jamf school profile. do you have an idea ? Sincerely

6 REPLIES 6

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@user-BLtYMYkAKd Restoring a backup whilst moving that device to another MDM isn't possible as you've witnessed. You could try to un-manage the device while it's in Jamf Pro then create a backup, but I suspect that may not work either.

My opinion is to forgo the backup. If the iPad has an account on the device already then "most" of the data is available to be pulled back down. I say most, but you'll undoubtedly have an app without cloud storage or a user with saved passwords and only a backup will restore those.

user-BLtYMYkAKd
New Contributor

@mainelysteve thank you for your answer!

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We moved from Pro to School last summer. Had to wipe all the iOS devices. MacOS does NOT have to be wiped. You can remove the JAMF Pro stuff and then manually enroll in JAMF School with MacOS

Just wondering more about your migration from Jamf Pro to School?? We currently have about 2,000 iOS devices in Pro . . . I manage the easy stuff in Pro like config profiles, book distribution etc. but I've lost my "behind the scenes" support and Pro is killing me!

Sure! What are your questions?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

We started last summer with a few grades. This summer everything is going. The slackers in summer school almost derailed the project until I reminded those around and above me that A. this was happening and B. How much comprises I've had to make throughout the years for them and this time I wasn't having any of it.

macOS is staying on Jamf Pro. I've experienced and read about the challenges of MDM only management and I'd rather not grow any more grey hairs than I already have.