Mirror iPhone on Mac

Jason
Contributor II

I know with AirPlay you can mirror an iPhones display onto a OS X system, but we have Bonjour/mDNSResponder disabled. Is there a way to view an iPhone screen on a Mac another way? Preferably via a wired connection like thunderbolt? This would need to be for Mavericks for the moment (I've heard of a way to do it with QuickTime on Yosemite, but we aren't there yet).

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We have bonjour disabled, but most of the popular wifi systems now offer bonjour gateway as a way to get this working (we use Meraki and AirServer).

There's also the option of VGA adapter to projector if you have those.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I would use QuickTime. Yosemite added an option to capture the video output of a connected iOS device and display it as a live stream.

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Yes. +1 for @davidacland's answer. QuickTime will now capture iOS 8 devices. One caveat is that it's a live capture, so make sure you're not capturing passwords.

Jason
Contributor II

@davidacland Unfortunately that doesn't appear to work for Mavericks (unless there is some hack to get it working?) We still have some time until we upgrade to Yosemite so that doesn't work in our environment.

@CasperSally I guess I'm not familiar with Bonjour Gateways. I thought those just allowed Bonjour traffic beyond the local subnet. But doesn't mDNSResponder still need to be turned on on the clients for that to work? If mDNSResponder can be off for Bonjour, but still allow AirPlay to work then that could be a solution. We just don't want all the machines doing service advertising but that breaks our current solution of Reflector.

Would be great if there was a hard wired solution for Mavericks.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Good point. I should read the posts more thoroughly!

Jason
Contributor II

Any other thoughts?

I've seen this device, but $700 is crazy:
http://www.epiphan.com/solutions/share-ipad-screen-cisco-webex-meeting/

I would think if Yosemite can do it over Thunderbolt then it's just a matter of requiring some 3rd party software for mavericks. But it could just be nobody has made that.

sadamson
New Contributor

Here is a quick article about Quicktime and iPhone/iPad

http://ioshacker.com/how-to/use-quicktime-record-screen-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-running-ios-8

It does require iOS 8 & Yosemite and a physical connection but can record or live play on the mac what is happening on the iOS device.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@Jason What are you trying to accomplish, specifically? There's a lot of brain power here that might start pointing you in all sorts of interesting ways you may not have considered yet.

It would also help to know how and why your blocking "Bonjour" and how your network is configured regarding said protocol. While we have our own ideas, assumptions can be very very bad when giving or taking advice ;-) Besides, most places that I see blocking this service have other issues... I mean, heck, you could use a MacBook as an adhoc wifi hotspot on it's own and mirror your iPhone to it via AirPlay. That you can do right now without buying anything. Unfortunately, I have no idea if this would help of not.

Jason
Contributor II

Bonjour is disabled as part of the CIS Benchmark for Mavericks. It's a potential security concern to broadcast service availability. Obviously more of a concern outside of an internal network, but still a potential concern.

The goal of this is to be able to take a test iOS device that has new apps being run on it (internally developed) and share it's screen over a WebEx meeting that someone is hosting. These devices don't connect to the network normally since they're development so we can't run webex on them directly. That's why we need to mirror their screen over to a system that is doing the presenting

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well... OK. How about connecting to your network via ethernet and setup ad hoc wifi on the same machine. You could then AirPlay to that unit and be connected to the internet. Mind you, that's the most creative I can be at the moment but there will be others!