Mobile Account Settings - Manage Sync Settings By Profile ?

rcorbin
Contributor II

We use Mobile accounts with a lot of our laptop users. We have always strictly done this via OD using OS X Servers. We have sometimes also managed what files we sync at the OS X Server side. For example we might want to sync the Documents, Desktop and Library folders but not Pictures etc. We are looking at setting up a number of laptops for the first time in a purely AD Server setup. You can specify to to create the Mobile account in the AD plug in but after that it would seem you don't have anyway to manage those sync setting. It looks as though the user themselves get to decide what gets synced. Is there away to do this via a management profile ?

7 REPLIES 7

rcorbin
Contributor II

I can sort of see how this can be done with Managed Preferences in Casper by bringing in the com.apple.homeSync.manifest. We are still using Casper 8.74, but I understand these managed preference settings either don't migrate to 9.x or are difficult do. It would be better to be able to do this via a Configuration Profile if I could. If I can do via managed preferences and still have it work in 9.x I guess I would just have to figure out the settings for the syncedFolders-raw key.

Effiong
New Contributor

Hi rcorbin! I would not recommend using Managed Preferences in Casper if your machines are running 10.7 or later, you should use Configuration Profiles instead. According to JAMF tech support Configuration Profile will migrate to 9.x without any issue. I have been using Configuration Profiles for over a year now without problems.
To access Configuration Profile...
Login to your Casper server and click Management; Configuration Profiles is the 3rd one down.
Click on Add Profile to create a profile, then select Mobility to configure specifically which folders or files you want ignored during sync. This is where you can configure your sync intervals and a bunch of other things.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Hi Effiong, When I go to add profiles I don't see anything about Mobility in the list of options. I don't see Mobility located inside any of the listed options either.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Ah I found it. Had to change it to "User Level" instead of "Computer Level". I'll give this a try now.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Seems to work fine now that I figured out that it was in the "User Level" instead of "Computer Level". Thanks Effiong for at least pointing me down the correct road.

Effiong
New Contributor

Sure no problem. I am glad you found the information useful.

rcorbin
Contributor II

Was working, but not not. The profile gets pushed out to the machine, but on the client it says that no folders are set to sync.

I've specified to sync the ~/Documents under the Mobility -> Rules -> Home Sync section.

There isn't really an error message, but if I go to Sync the client it just says that no folders have been selected to sync.

Just tried taking out the ~/ thinking maybe that wasn't needed. Still didn't work. Put the ~/ back.

I also specified that the sync should be manual, but in the mobile account settings log in and log out are selected. I do he the profiles as being listed in the profile preference pane.