Modify Script or Policy Script Parameters via API or other method ?

May
Contributor III

Hi,

i'm seeing if there's a way that i can have one Mac create a list of ok'd Apple updates then have that list end up on all of our Macs, in the form of a text file or something that can be read from,

would it be possible to modify elements of an existing script on the JSS or populate $4 to $11 script parameters within a policy from a standalone Mac, has anyone had experience with anything similar ?

2 REPLIES 2

cddwyer
Contributor

Hi there,

If you run this script on a machine (to through a Casper/Jamf Pro policy) you can modify a particular string a script's contents if you know the script ID, you could modify the parameter numbers to allow it to work from the JSS or run it as is:

#!/bin/bash

#sets parameters for JSS User, password and URL
jssuser=$1
jsspass=$2
jssurl=$3

#takes the JSS Script ID number for the script you wish to modify
scriptid=$4

#takes the text you with to replace
replaceThis=$5

#Has text you wish to replace the above var's text with
withThis=$6

#creates temporary file
touch /tmp/scriptfile1

#Puts script contents into a temporary file
curl -sS -u $jssuser:$jsspass $jssurl/JSSResource/scripts/id/$scriptid | xpath //script//script_contents | sed 's/<script_contents>//g' | sed 's/</script_contents>//g' > /tmp/scriptfile1

#Carries out replacement operation
sed -i -e "s/$replaceThis/$withThis/g" /tmp/scriptfile1

#Loads new script into variable
scriptData=$(cat /tmp/scriptfile1)

#pushes new script contents to JSS
curl -X PUT -H "Accept: application/xml" -H "Content-type: application/xml" -k -u 'jssuser:jsspass' -d "<script><script_contents>$scriptData</script_contents></script>" $jssurl/JSSResource/scripts/id/$scriptid

#removes temporary file
rm /tmp/scriptfile1

exit 0

Hope that helps!

Christian

May
Contributor III

Thanks for your help Christian !,

this looks like it can do what i need, once i get a chance to tinker with it i'll post the outcome,
cheers,
Andy