Monterey - Allow non-admins to install SoftwareUpdates

sirsir
Contributor

Is there a way to allow non-admins to install Monterey Software Updates? I thought this had been fixed in a previous version of Monterey/Big Sur but I can't recall. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

macOS Upgrades (major versions - Big Sur to Monterey for example) need to be initiated by an administrator - or kicked off via an MDM policy or APNS command since the MDM would run as an administrator to perform the Upgrade.

Updates should be allowed by a non-admin user. On Apple Silicon Macs, there typically is a prompt for a volume owner password to perform software updates, but one does not need to be an admin on the Mac to have volume ownership

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

macOS Upgrades (major versions - Big Sur to Monterey for example) need to be initiated by an administrator - or kicked off via an MDM policy or APNS command since the MDM would run as an administrator to perform the Upgrade.

Updates should be allowed by a non-admin user. On Apple Silicon Macs, there typically is a prompt for a volume owner password to perform software updates, but one does not need to be an admin on the Mac to have volume ownership

sirsir
Contributor

Ahhh, ok. I was thrown off because of the password prompt. I didn't actually think to try it as a standard user. Thank you! 

kavila
New Contributor III

Something to look into, running the installation from self service and bypassing admin credentials, https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/macos-installer-script-not-working-for-apple-silicon-m1-macbo...