Monterey Upload Issue

pchimombe
New Contributor III

Has anyone successfully uploaded the Monterey 12.0.1 installer to jamf cloud?  I tried as a DMG and as a pkg created using the MegaPKG script. It uploads up to 40% and hangs in Safari then up to 100% in Chrome then it just hangs. File size is about 12gigs. Logged a call with support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pchimombe
New Contributor III

I used the API command below to upload the package successfully to JAMF.

sudo curl -u jss_username:jss_password -X POST https://your_instance.jamfcloud.com/dbfileupload -H 'DESTINATION: 0' -H 'OBJECT_ID: -1' -H 'FILE_TYPE: 0' -H 'FILE_NAME: package_name' -T '/path/to/installer/package'

#I found the command above on a post here on jamfnation but I can't find the original post#

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

I got this Monterey 12.0.1 upgrade working on Intel Macbooks.
The script provided in
macOSUpgrade/macOSUpgrade.sh at master · kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade · GitHub

works just fine.

BUT - I can't get it working on Apple Silicon M1 Macbook.
I am using the same macOS install script for Intel & M1 Macbook.
the macOS Monterey 12.0.1 installer downloads just fine.
But it fails during preparing.
Error message:

"
Error: failed to authorize for installation. Provide a password with --stdinpass or --passprompt.
By using the agreetolicense option, you are agreeing that you have run this tool with the license only option and have read and agreed to the terms.
If you do not agree, press CTRL-C and cancel this process immediately.

"

So looks like it needs to be run with a user that has admin rights.
But all our current users DO NOT have admin rights.

Anyone else got this issue?
Anyone else got a solution?

@pchimombe 

To answer your question a bit further...
Since macOS Big Sur (12+ Gb) we had stopped uploading the macOS install to JAMF Admin.
It's a waste of disk space.

We now use 
softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version #.#.#
within our script, to make the Macbook download the macOS installer directly from Apple.

Hi - Did u also upload Monterey package? or just the script ?

ncworster
New Contributor III

We just script it as well, something like this:

sudo softwareupdate -i -R --fetch-full-installer --force --agree-to-license

Hello, I am fairly new to scripting, and want to use this script to deploy Monterey. Can you advise where in the script this will be placed - 

"sudo softwareupdate -i -R --fetch-full-installer --force --agree-to-license"

Thanks

Not sure which open-source scripting you are basing your process from.
But if you are using the script I'm referring to

macOSUpgrade/macOSUpgrade.sh at master · kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade · GitHub

Then you are replacing the line #287
from

if /usr/local/jamf/bin/jamf policy -event "$download_trigger" ; then

to

if /usr/sbin/softwareupdate -d --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 12.0.1 ; then

What this means is, instead of triggering a JAMF repository download (it's calling another JAMF policy), it runs the softwareupdate command instead.

We have this same issue

Tapia
New Contributor III

@Bernard_Huang I had a small write up of our method in a reply here. Let me know if this works for you. This scenario will prompt a M1 user for their login password so some user education is needed. It can pull the installer directly from apple to erase, reinstall or update. 

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/macosupgrade-script-and-11-6/m-p/248029#M231833

pchimombe
New Contributor III

I used the API command below to upload the package successfully to JAMF.

sudo curl -u jss_username:jss_password -X POST https://your_instance.jamfcloud.com/dbfileupload -H 'DESTINATION: 0' -H 'OBJECT_ID: -1' -H 'FILE_TYPE: 0' -H 'FILE_NAME: package_name' -T '/path/to/installer/package'

#I found the command above on a post here on jamfnation but I can't find the original post#

TDManila
New Contributor III

Hello Bro! sent u DM.

pchimombe
New Contributor III

Hi replied back...I'm a girl though 🙂 🙂