Monterey v12.1 update not available

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Hey folks...

We are not blocking any software updates, yet we have a handful of Monterey Macs running 12.0.1 which are saying they are up to date, and not even giving the option to install 12.1.  Has anyone seem something similar and know how to fix?  Again, we have no config profiles in place that block or defer any software updates.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 11.38.39 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

So we finally figured this problem out.  Our security team requires all laptops...mac and windows to use Zscaler, and while working with them I found the issue.

In the Zscaler admin console, they had whitlelisted Apple's entire IP range of 17.0.0.0... however they had it set to 17.0.0.0/24 ...which is only 256 addresses.

I noticed this and had them change it to 17.0.0.0/8, and voila!  All macs could see and download all updates.

What a big hassle.  I knew they had whitelisted apple IP in the past, so never thought anything of it.  But thanks now to my keen eye, it's fixed!

Thanks everyone who tried to help. I appreciate it your time.

P.S.  Zscaler is the devil.  don't ever use it!!!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

You can try to kickstart the software update process

sudo launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.softwareupdated; sleep 5

Also, just a note, you may have to relaunch System Preferences after running that command

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately it didn't work.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

12.1 Update not showing up for users.png

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Did it work?

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

I've passed the info onto our support team who will work with user to validate.

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

it did not work unfortunately

stacecom
New Contributor

FWIW, I had an M1 mini in this state as well, and was stumped.  The directions in the screenshot above almost did it, but the process I had to kill was actually com.apple.NRD.UpdateBrainService -- the one mentioned in the snippet wasn't running.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Give this thread a read: https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/big-sur-11-6-x-software-update-hangs/m-p/257912/emcs_t/S2h8ZW...

The command should help: sudo launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.softwareupdated

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

thanks.  I've had the command running every day for a couple weeks now.  will uncheck the box in inventory and see if that makes a diff

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

So we finally figured this problem out.  Our security team requires all laptops...mac and windows to use Zscaler, and while working with them I found the issue.

In the Zscaler admin console, they had whitlelisted Apple's entire IP range of 17.0.0.0... however they had it set to 17.0.0.0/24 ...which is only 256 addresses.

I noticed this and had them change it to 17.0.0.0/8, and voila!  All macs could see and download all updates.

What a big hassle.  I knew they had whitelisted apple IP in the past, so never thought anything of it.  But thanks now to my keen eye, it's fixed!

Thanks everyone who tried to help. I appreciate it your time.

P.S.  Zscaler is the devil.  don't ever use it!!!