Moving iPads from another MDM to Jamf Pro

lfriedo
New Contributor III

We have just started using Jamf Pro.  We were using Meraki and some of our iPads are in there.  What is the best (or proper) sequence for getting these into Jamf Pro?  My thought was to do this in the following order but was hoping someone could confirm this will successfully move this from Meraki to Jamf Pro.

1.  In Meraki under DEP, select the device and click Remove Device

2. In ABM, go to the device and choose edit Device Management and change it to our Jamf Pro MDM from the list.

3. Wait for Jamf Pro to sync with ABM and the device should now be in my list in Jamf Pro to assign to a prestage enrollment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

timbyler1890
New Contributor III

That is one way to do it. My personal workflow would be;
1. Go to ABM-Settings-MDM Servers, choose the server that you're moving from and click on show devices
2. Click on Edit Device Management and choose the new server that you're moving to.
3. Wait for Jamf to sync with ABM
4. Get everything setup in Jamf the way that you want it, including your Prestage
5. Do an erase all content and settings on the devices so that they switch and pull your new MDM server confg profile

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

timbyler1890
New Contributor III

That is one way to do it. My personal workflow would be;
1. Go to ABM-Settings-MDM Servers, choose the server that you're moving from and click on show devices
2. Click on Edit Device Management and choose the new server that you're moving to.
3. Wait for Jamf to sync with ABM
4. Get everything setup in Jamf the way that you want it, including your Prestage
5. Do an erase all content and settings on the devices so that they switch and pull your new MDM server confg profile

Definitely the way I'd do it too. If by freak chance any iPads fail to see the new management profile from Jamf, do a software restore on them in either Finder, iTunes or Configurator (as applicable).

lfriedo
New Contributor III

Thanks!  That is working.

savagetech
New Contributor

Is there a way to do this without having to wipe the iOS devices?

Not with Automated Device Enrolment. If the MDM profile is currently removable, you could try deleting it and manually enrol an iPad but you won’t get Supervision that way and lose a good few management capabilities.