with the JSS Util, and restored the backup onto the new server. That
takes care of getting all of our inventory and packages moved over, but
what about policies/buildings/departments/etc? Will those all need to be
re-built? :-(

Thanks,
Bob

4 REPLIES 4

talkingmoose

We’re getting ready to move our JSS to a new dedicated XServe. I’ve already installed the JSS on the new server, backed up the current JSS with the JSS Util, and restored the backup onto the new server. That takes care of getting all of our inventory and packages moved over, but what about policies/buildings/departments/etc? Will those all need to be re-built? :(
On 12/16/10 4:03 PM, "Bob Feldhake" <bob.feldhake.pyb3 at statefarm.com<mailto:bob.feldhake.pyb3 at statefarm.com>> wrote:

Provided you're keeping JSS version numbers the same, everything should come over if you use the JSS Setup Utility to create your database backup.

You're not seeing that?

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

Not applicable

I was trying to move from a 7.31 to an 8. I guess I should uninstall 8
and install 7.31, then restore the database, then update to 8...guess
that's a more logical workflow.

Bob

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

To not have to mess around with things on your sparkly new server, I’d upgrade your current instance to 8, and then move it to the new server on 8. It should really act as a brain transplant though as far as things working and all the labels and policies, etc. being there, assuming you’re going to be matching up the DNS so the clients are pointed to the same place...

As you already moved it, you might also look to see if upgrading the database is an option in the JSS Util and then just upgrade it there.

John
--
John Wetter
Technical Services Manager
Educational Technology, Media & Information Services
Hopkins Public Schools
952-988-5373

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I did a server migration and major version upgrade all in one fell swoop. I had DNS changed over to the new server and did a backup of the existing production and restored to new production. The JSS saw that an upgrade to the DB was immediately available. Went with zero hitches and users didn't even notice (though we did communicate the crap out of it).

j
--
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420