MS Office 2011 Full Installer and patches

kink80
New Contributor

I am trying to get MS Office 2011 to install from a base image that was configured with Casper Imaging but I also want to install a patch for MS Office 2011 is there a way to do this? Right now I have a Office 14.2.2.dmg and the 14.2.3.pkg patch listed in Casper Admin as deployable but when I run them together during the image I still get version 14.2.2 installed. I also have an issue when I just run the 14.2.2.dmg when I go to Help > Updates for Office 2011 I get an error saying that updates cannot run and that I should re-install Office. Could this be causing the patch application issue?

7 REPLIES 7

Matt
Valued Contributor

With office I usually just do a composer capture. Install, run all updates, and then capture.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Is Office getting installed in the proper location on the hard drive?

Your Office 14.2.2.dmg should install to this path:
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011

If you shortened the folder name or are deploying it to another location, that can cause the update patch to fail. If it is failing to update via the Help menu, then you need to verify the Microsoft updater application is located here: /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app

Are you deploying Office as part of the Image configuration, via Casper Remote, or by way of a policy?

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Check install.log on a client where it failed. It should give some clue as to why the patch is bailing.

kink80
New Contributor

Here is the event log from imaging on this machine. There are a few other issues that I know about as well like the microsoft_lync.dmg and the Silverlight.pkg. On the MS Office 2011 14.2.3 there was no error.

mmarino
New Contributor

I was having the same issue deploying 14.2.3 and talked to support and they gave me this response (it works now)

I do have one thing to try, to see if we can eliminate if this is a permissions issue or not:

Can we pop open terminal, and

sudo chmod -R 755 /path/to/mpkg

where '/path/to/mpkg' is the path to the Update mpkg package

So, for example, you could just sudo chmod -R 755 and then drag the office updater into terminal, and then try to push it out to one of the machines that isn't updating correctly?

bsdjunkie
New Contributor

I am finding that if I capture the full install (patches and all) - that the resulting package is un-upgradeable.

I modified the vendor SP2.0 (14.2.0) package and removed the apps that we did not want in our install (lync, etc) and saved it in Composer

Then I ran the update pkg's separately after the base .dmg install.

The resulting Office install is upgradeable, but now we want to roll in and update it to 14.2.4.

I will try the composer capture, install + run all updates and see what I get.

Hoping this works as it takes twice as long to install 14.2.0 and then apply 14.2.3 and 14.2.4 (plus updating MAU and Microsoft error reporting to the most current versions.

bsdjunkie
New Contributor

Just tested with capturing (using the middle capture option in Composer) and found that the resulting package is patchable.

I modified the vendor SP2.0 (14.2.0) package and removed the apps that we did not want in our install (lync, etc) and saved it in Composer

I then installed the resulting package and used Composer to capture. Then I ran the update pkg's separately after the base .dmg install and did the after capture.

The resulting Office install is upgradeable, but now we want to roll in and update it to 14.2.4.

Hoping this works as it takes twice as long to install 14.2.0 and then apply 14.2.3 and 14.2.4 (plus updating MAU and Microsoft error reporting to the most current versions.