Ms Office Installer (pkg) fails. Help me troubleshoot it

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

Hello everyone,

I have a policy to install Ms. Office and sometimes it fails.

Here is the log from the computer object:

[STEP 1 of 6]
Executing Policy MS Office 2016 v. 16.16.8 (190312)
[STEP 2 of 6]
Running script Delete Microsoft Office 2016...
Script exit code: 0
Script result:
[STEP 3 of 6]
Caching package Microsoft_Office_16.16.19031202_Installer.pkg...
Downloading Microsoft_Office_16.16.19031202_Installer.pkg...
Downloading http://SERVER/SHARE/Packages/Microsoft_Office_16.16.19031202_Installer.pkg...
Verifying package integrity...
Installing Microsoft_Office_16.16.19031202_Installer.pkg...
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Microsoft Office for Mac<br/>installer: Installing at base path /<br/>installer: The install failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)
[STEP 4 of 6]
Caching package Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_Serializer_2.0.pkg...
Downloading Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_Serializer_2.0.pkg...
Downloading http://SERVER/SHARE/Packages/Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_Serializer_2.0.pkg...
mv: rename /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_Serializer_2.0.pkg to /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Offline Policies/CLIENT_CHECKIN/MS Office 2016 v. 16.16.8 (190312)/Contents/Resources/Packages/: No such file or directory<br/>
Error: The package (Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_Serializer_2.0.pkg) could not be found.
[STEP 5 of 6]
[STEP 6 of 6]

The app is in Self Service, Make Available Offline

3 REPLIES 3

Tangentism
Contributor III

Did you find a resolution to this? I'm experiencing the same error when users are running a Self Service policy to update to Office 365

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

I believe for us the issue was related to the fact that our File Distribution Point was hosted on a macOS server, Jamf no longer supported.
We have upgraded Jamf several times and to the current version, and then moved to JamfCloud.
Packages install properly.

JKingsnorth
Contributor

It can't find the distribution point. This occurs a lot when people are off network and the distribution point on prem. with firewall rules not configured properly or at all.