Need Expert Advice (Java Updates)

Sonuw
New Contributor III

Hello All,
Java updates for OS versions later than 10.6 do not come from Apple anymore. Is it true?
Is Apple announced about two years ago that they were discontinuing maintenance?
Oracle is handling the Java releases for 10.7 and later. Is it True.?
As still i can see Java updates comes along with the Mac OS X Patch Updates (Software Updates) for Mac OS X 10.7.X and Mac OS X 10.8.x.

Kindly Advice.

Regards,
SonuW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Java 6 updates are still coming from Apple.
Java 7 updates are coming from Oracle.

Consequently, you can have both JREs on a system.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sonuw
New Contributor III

No Advice????

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Java 6 updates are still coming from Apple.
Java 7 updates are coming from Oracle.

Consequently, you can have both JREs on a system.

Sonuw
New Contributor III

Thanks jarednichols!!!

Java Update 7 can be downloaded through Software Update? as well as From Oracle?
and if Apple still producing the Java Updates through Apple Software Updates (I can see it through the software Updates). I prefer to go with Apple Software Update.

Thanks For the Answer jarednichols!!!

DanSam
New Contributor III

No. Java 7 can not be updated through Software Update, you will need to get it from java.com or oracle directly. It is also only supported on 10.7.3 or higher, so Snow Leopard users are out of luck.

The Java 6 web-applet is no longer being used or supported through Apple now either, so you will need to get that through java.com or oracle as well and good luck with that.

The newest release of Java 6 for Mac through Self Service basically gimped the Java Preferences so that you can no longer enable web support. even if it is checked.

I understand why Apple made the decision to no longer support Java, but by pushing out that update, it severely crippled some of the web-based programs that we use every day. It would have been nice to get a heads up so we could have disabled the update before it happened. As it was, we had to run around googling furiously to find a fix so teachers could finish their grades for the end of the first 9 weeks.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Please see this Apple Kbase if you have users who still need the old version of the plugin. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559