Netboot Casper Apps Newer than JSS Version

majedian21
New Contributor III

Running JSS 9.62 with intentions to update to 9.65 in the coming weeks or months.

I am creating a Netboot image to prepare for summer imaging and would like to be on the latest Casper Suite tools when we upgrade the JSS without having to redo our Netboot image. Is it safe/compatible to install Casper Suite 9.65 tools (Admin, Imaging, etc) on our Netboot image and use them to manage our current 9.62 JSS until we upgrade the JSS to match?

5 REPLIES 5

ernstcs
Contributor III

In most cases you should be able to just mount the netboot image and update the apps within it without having to rebuild the whole image. We do that all the time when a new version of the Casper Suite comes out. We only have Casper Imaging in it, but we just delete the old version out of the Applications directory and then copy in the new ones. Just make sure you've launched them once prior to that so the downloaded trust prompt isn't there.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Oh, and in almost ALL cases it is ill advised to mix versions of the suite applications. In fact, some, if not all of them, actually check against the JSS and will not run if the suite apps don't match your JSS.

elliotjordan
Contributor III

We're running Casper Imaging version 9.65 (because it works with Yosemite images) but still have JSS 9.62. We haven't encountered problems with that setup so far.

scottb
Honored Contributor

We are running 9.65, but have to use Casper Remote 9.62 for our Macs running 10.10.3 betas. I've also seen some using 9.62/9.63 for Casper Imaging as well successfully. I don't like mixing versions either, but it seems to work at times with certain apps/versions.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

The JSS's release notes give compatible app versions. (At least in 9.7).

So that should help.