NetBoot/dhcpd service not starting

triti
New Contributor

Brand new NetSUS installation of Ubuntu 10.04.4 using the 1.02 seed file. Fresh after the install, I've reconfigured the server for a static IP address, I've modified the adminHelper.sh script to work with DeployStudio .nbi bundles, and I've enabled ufw but have allowed access from the subnet that my workstation is on.

I upload my newly generated "DSR-1083.nbi" bundle to the SMB share, I configure NetBoot to listen on my subnet, and click the Enable NetBoot button but nothing happens.

The /etc/dhcpd.conf file looks correct--it has the path to the .sparseimage inside the .nbi bundle and everything. If I manually launch dhcpd from the command line, however:

shelluser@NetSUS:~$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd 
/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
shelluser@NetSUS:~$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd --version
/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd: 2: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
shelluser@NetSUS:~$ ls -l /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6613000 2012-09-20 12:10 /usr/local/sbin/dhcpd

Does anybody have a clue what could be causing this or, more importantly, how to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

triti
New Contributor

Figured it out. Culprit was user error. I had downloaded and installed Ubuntu from the i386 .iso and not the amd64 .iso. After a quick reinstall of the OS, we're now up and running and I've just successfully netbooted one of my iMacs from the new server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You may need to edit /var/www/webadmin/scripts/adminHelper.sh. I've got a walkthrough on how to do this posted here:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/modifying-jamfs-netsus-to-host-deploystudio-netboot-boot...

Update: D'oh! Never mind, you said you'd updated /var/www/webadmin/scripts/adminHelper.sh.

sturtus
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem. Will post my findings. Boooo.

triti
New Contributor

Figured it out. Culprit was user error. I had downloaded and installed Ubuntu from the i386 .iso and not the amd64 .iso. After a quick reinstall of the OS, we're now up and running and I've just successfully netbooted one of my iMacs from the new server.

sturtus
New Contributor

Mine is a user error, although I haven't been able to resolve.

/etc/dhcpd.conf line 30: subnet 10.105.0.1 netmask 255.255.240.0: bad subnet number/mask combination.
subnet 10.105.0.1 netmask 255.255.240.000

sturtus
New Contributor

10.105.0.0 255.255.240.0 did it. Oh subnets.