NetBoot Issues

msmith80
New Contributor III

We have Gateway Manager for GSX installed on a Mac Pro. Also, we have macOS Server setup on it as well. Everything used to work just fine for net booting. Suddenly, it stopped allowing Netbooting. I'm thinking it had to do with the Server App update or when upgrading to High Sierra. I can see all the NetBoot NBI's in the boot manager on the Mac I want to NetBoot from. When I select the correct NBI I wan't to boot to, it just boots straight into it's internal HD. I can get NetBoot to work fine on a Linux box but for whatever reason, something with Apple has changed something.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

5 REPLIES 5

sharriston
Contributor III

Take a look at this article. In the new version of server they have deprecated use of netboot's.

msmith80
New Contributor III

Yeah, I have seen that. However, Gateway Manager will only run on macOS which requires NetBoot in order to use it. If I could run it on Linux too, I'd be more than happy to move away from macOS "Server" all together. So, it's still technically there in the server app, just hidden. I can't imagine Apple would deprecate something that would cause one of their other products to stop working without an alternative.

sharriston
Contributor III

What I had to do was downgrade my server to Sierra and reinstall AST in order to use it on my older computers. I think the assumption is most computers that still run AST 1.5 will be vintage at the end of the year.

CapU
Contributor III

if it ain't broke.....

I have no plans to update my apple server app as I still require the need to netboot. The other "solutions" don't appeal to me, but I imagine that I will have to make a decision before too long. My system is working fine, I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel around here damn it

msmith80
New Contributor III

After more troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that something on the network has changed that is not allowing it. I tried on a local network off our regular network and everything works fine. This is typical in our environment.