New Macbook Pros, No Ethernet, and the Removable MAC

Matt
Valued Contributor

Following around removable Ethernet adapters is one of the biggest negatives I have had so far with Casper and now it looks like its going to be something that happens all the time. Is it possible that we can track machines with something other than MAC??? Perhaps Serial #?

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I was under the impression JAMF has been looking to move to the Hardware UUID in a future release. The hardware UUID is a unique number based on the machine and not on a network interface. It may be coming sooner than we think.
I wouldn't recommend using the serial # since in some cases if a repair is done, replacing the Mobo, if the tech forgets to run the serialization tools, the Mac will no longer report a serial #.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I remember when I was a Mac Genius we always had that one #^@^#%@%# tech who wouldn't serialize.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

On second thought about all this, I'm not really clear where the Hardware UUID actually comes from, If its tied to the mobo similar to the Serial #, then a repaired Mac would end up with a different UUID anyway.
Still, using something like this would be much better than the MAC address, just due to the number of issues related to the USB/Ethernet dongles we all have to deal with.