New "Like" button - is it just me or does everyone else like it?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

688bc86418604b40a65b033f27bd8884

--
https://donmontalvo.com
6 REPLIES 6

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Noticing other subtle refinements to the Jamf Nation interface...me like. :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yes I meant to post a thread like this earlier noting the new stuff. The Like button is very welcome. Thanks Jamf! Also the post editing/formatting toolbar has been revamped with new lighter icons. They are a tad "light" for my tastes, or maybe just my aging eyes :) But I like it nonetheless.

Oh, and I just "liked" your post. :D

Asnyder
Contributor III

It looks like it matches the styling of Jamf pro 10. Im assuming that's why the changes are being made.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

uggggg, I was thinking the opposite!

Is it just me or does anyone else NOT like the Like? I almost created a feature request to remove the feature.
It's unnecessary clutter in my old eyes. I don't get it. What's the value? Do we now consider that posts with the most likes are more reliable info? Or does it just make you feel good that your post was liked 20 times?

(nope, I dont Facebook either)

egill
New Contributor III

I think it's just a way for more user interaction. They may agree with the post but don't actually have any more pertinent information to add. Just my thoughts.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@dpertschi The feature was implemented based on this Feature Request, which actually got a decent number of upvotes. While I do think it might have made sense for Jamf to use something other than a "Like" button, such as, say, a "+1" or "Upvote" button, this is an attempt to allow the community to weigh in on posts that, hopefully offer a solution that the community generally agrees with. The problem with some threads is that they can take on a life of their own even after the original poster has moved on or removed their account. The community may continue to post on the thread, keeping it alive, but only the OP has the ability to choose a post as "the answer" This gives us a way to hopefully allow important posts that come along to get some additional notice.

That being said, I don't "Facebook" either and it would have been nice if Jamf didn't use the "Like" moniker as it doesn't exactly connote that a post provided an additional layer to a solution or that it helped someone. In fact, back on that FR that was implemented around this, several folks weighed in that using a +1 or "This helped me" button would have been better. In that respect, I'm not sure what made Jamf choose a Like button instead. I think Facebook has invaded too much of our online society personally. I guess I say that because my only worry is that some posts may end up with high "Likes" due to someone posting memes or other silly content that adds nothing pertinent to the overall discussion. We should be careful to only Like posts that we really agree with or helped us, not like some people I see on Facebook that simply go down the list of their friends posts just liking everything without even reading them :-P

So overall I understand the concern. We'll have to see where this goes and if it goes awry, hopefully we can convince Jamf to change the button to something maybe a little more professional sounding.