New Software Update

SMR1
Contributor III

Just checking to see if anybody has tried the new Software Update. I tested it on my Monterey Mac and set it to do 3 deferrals and update to the 12.6.8. I had my device locked at the time and it just restarted and updated automatically after 15min. 

7 REPLIES 7

Carbon
New Contributor

So when I tested yesterday, I selected our test group, which has Macs running Ventura 13.4.1, selected Download, install and allow deferral which was set to 3 as well and the Target Version set to latest based on device eligibility. When I checked the progess on them individually it showed no deferral was set and to install ASAP. That was my experience so far with trying this new software update method. 

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

I don't see that this is any different to a mass action.. just a different (and not altogether coherent revision) 

expect this is paving the way for macOS 14 when everything changes with macOS updates.. 

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

I saw the same today with a 2 count deferral.

tmundy
New Contributor

Yes same thing for me. It installs asap.

Lonnny
New Contributor II

I tried this feature with to update devices to the latest minor version with one deferral
The eligible devices received a notification with a countdown timer that the machine will reboot. 
I then checked the   SoftwareUpdate tab and it displayed the following information

Operating System Update
Update in progress: MSU_UPDATE_22G74_patch_13.5_minor
# Deferrals:N/A
Install Action:Install ASAP
Next Install Notification Date:N/A
Past Install Notification Dates:N/A

I think that JAMF did not send a deferral option to the device, otherwise the deferral value would display something like 0 of 1 or 1 of 1

Bol
Valued Contributor

Some worked and installed, some didn't (stuck in pending). Par for the course really, I'm sure there are dependancies on versions we are upgrading from etc. 
I ended up scripting updates over the holidays again.. Maybe next time.

SMR1
Contributor III

There is a case open with jamf CASE#CS0998447. 

There is actually a product issue now open for this - PI112338