New User

Bob_Villa
New Contributor

We have an environment that already is set up for Apple devices.  I don’t know anything about how it is setup or what any of the configuration looks like.  My question is how do I enroll a new iPad into the application Jam Pro and is there a limit on how many devices can be setup? 

I think but I am not sure this application houses two departments' worth of devices mine and another department, and I am not sure how to differentiate between mine and theirs except by the serial but as far as I know, there is no information telling me what our serial’s numbers are.  So another question how can I tell which are mine and which are not, it seems like they are all dumped into the same area. 

These iPads are brand new out of the box, usually with iPad previously managed when they were wiped during the iPad setup we would get to a point where you would put in a username and password to connect to the MDM at which point I am guessing the MDM config would sync to the device?  But with these new iPad’s they did not.

I am new to this role and this application, so I really don’t know much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I would recommend you reaching out to Jamf Support, especially if there is not a more senior admin that can show you the ropes. 

1. How to enroll a device?
    1. Depends on if the device is in Apple Business Manager and if you have Automated Device Enrollment setup. 
      1. If Yes: Just reinstall the OS, and it will enroll on its own.
      2. If No: You will need to use the enrollment portal (URL is found in Jamf Settings).
  2. How to identify device assignment?
    1. Organizationally Owned devices will be listed in Apple Business Manager by Serial Number. If a device is listed here, your org owns it if not its a personally owned device as far as Apple is concerned. 
      1. Pro tip, if Automated Device enrollment is setup you can also see what devices are in Apple Business Manager by checking the scope of your PreStage as the device list is the same (less Jamf will not show released devices)
      2. If your org buys devices outside of Apple Authorized resellers, and does not enroll devices in to Apple Business Manager, you will need to run down the PO's for each device in your internal purchasing systems.
    2. How to identify what devices are assigned to what department?
      1. Apple only divvies up device assignment by organization. Any department or user assignment is handled internally within your organization. 
      2. Many organizations IT own all tech assets not currently deployed. Check your IT standards and Device usage standards. 
  3. Device Enrollment differences (your last point, little hard to summarize in a few words)
    1. The devices that are automatically enrolling are doing so with PreStage enrollment. They are assigned to Jamf in Apple Business Manager, and are assigned to a PreStage within Jamf.
    2. The devices that are not automatically enrolling are either not in Apple Business Manager or are not assigned to a PreStage, or the PreStage they are assigned to does not enroll (kinda silly but it can be configured that way).

My suggestion is to reach out to Jamf Support, and your Apple SE. You will need access to Apple Business Manager to do anything, and once you have that Jamf will need to walk you through identifying how your Jamf is setup.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

I would recommend you reaching out to Jamf Support, especially if there is not a more senior admin that can show you the ropes. 

1. How to enroll a device?
    1. Depends on if the device is in Apple Business Manager and if you have Automated Device Enrollment setup. 
      1. If Yes: Just reinstall the OS, and it will enroll on its own.
      2. If No: You will need to use the enrollment portal (URL is found in Jamf Settings).
  2. How to identify device assignment?
    1. Organizationally Owned devices will be listed in Apple Business Manager by Serial Number. If a device is listed here, your org owns it if not its a personally owned device as far as Apple is concerned. 
      1. Pro tip, if Automated Device enrollment is setup you can also see what devices are in Apple Business Manager by checking the scope of your PreStage as the device list is the same (less Jamf will not show released devices)
      2. If your org buys devices outside of Apple Authorized resellers, and does not enroll devices in to Apple Business Manager, you will need to run down the PO's for each device in your internal purchasing systems.
    2. How to identify what devices are assigned to what department?
      1. Apple only divvies up device assignment by organization. Any department or user assignment is handled internally within your organization. 
      2. Many organizations IT own all tech assets not currently deployed. Check your IT standards and Device usage standards. 
  3. Device Enrollment differences (your last point, little hard to summarize in a few words)
    1. The devices that are automatically enrolling are doing so with PreStage enrollment. They are assigned to Jamf in Apple Business Manager, and are assigned to a PreStage within Jamf.
    2. The devices that are not automatically enrolling are either not in Apple Business Manager or are not assigned to a PreStage, or the PreStage they are assigned to does not enroll (kinda silly but it can be configured that way).

My suggestion is to reach out to Jamf Support, and your Apple SE. You will need access to Apple Business Manager to do anything, and once you have that Jamf will need to walk you through identifying how your Jamf is setup.

Thanks that is what I will do.