Newbie question on how to create an installer pkg to install a wifi Profile.

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

Hi,

We had Casper training, and our instructor made a .pkg that was basically a profile he made in Apple Configurator to add our wifi network to an iPad, he packaged it up so we could install in on Mac OS X systems and it works great. Now I am trying to create one on my own, and I can't get it to work properly. I create the Profile in Configurator, then I export it (studentwifi.mobileconfig) to my desktop. Then I use Composer and package it up. Of course all that does is put it on their desktop and does not run the profile. So I guess I am confused how to make a package or dmg that JSS will just install the profile so I can add wifi when needed. (Just run it, not copy it to any location of course).

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

clifhirtle
Contributor II

Steven: Assuming you are looking to install the profile manually vs pushing out via Configuration Profiles functionality of Casper (which seems to be having some buggy behavior in our environment now anyway).

If so, check out Apple's Configuration Profiles doc. Page 16 has a good rundown on the profiles command line tool, which you could use to take that .mobilconfig file and import it into the system configuration.

http://training.apple.com/pdf/wp_osx_configuration_profiles.pdf

Using the profiles command you could simply attach a post-install shell script to your package payload in Composer, ensuring that the file is installed in some temp directory on the Mac, then your shell script manually imports that in using the profiles command.

Cliff

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

Thanks Cliff, I will look into that solution. Although that is now how our trainer did it, and it is driving me crazy I can't remember. The one thing you don't write down....

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

That's exactly how I'm deploying VPN profiles.

I dropped the configuration profile into /tmp and then made an install package for it with Composer, then added a post flight script with this one-liner:

/usr/bin/profiles -I -F /tmp/<name-of-file>

Works well.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you certain the JumpStart person didn't do it that way? I mean, drop the profile in the package to a common location, then adda a postinstall script to install it using the profiles command? That is a common way of deploying these through a standard package install.
If there's some other way to accomplish this and you discover what he/she did, please share your findings.

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

I am not certain how he did it, I am trying to find his contact information yet (actually waiting for my boss to give it to me). As soon as I find out I will post it whether is it the same method described or different.

Thanks everybody!

bhouseward
New Contributor III

I know it's an old post, but I like dpertschi's method. I'm wondering, do you have that script set to run After or At Reboot? Does it matter where in the workflow you have your Composer package run? I've tried storing it in /tmp and even in a user's Downloads directory but I can't seem to get this to work at Image time - the mobileconfig file is missing when I check post-imaging. The script runs beautifully if I run it manually or even via Remote or a policy.

Edit: I was successful when using "Install on Drive after Imaging" and running the script "At Reboot".