Newest iWorks (and iMovie) update and local update server

jyoung
New Contributor

Hello all,

As I am tearing my hair out getting ready for our newest semester, I have hit a big bump in the road. We have an OS X Server running our local software updates. All has been grand except, enter the latest versions of Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, iPhoto, and Garage Band. I checked our update server and there is no mention of those latest updates. I figured since they are App Store "purchases" they are not offered up in the update server. Now the question is how to get them in there? Right now the only way to update is visit each machine, log in with our departmental iTunes account, run updates, log out. Is there a better way? I really don't want to have to go out and visit all our lab machines whenever there is a new release.

Thanks, Jeff

6 REPLIES 6

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I think if you have a Mac OS 10.9.x server you can use the Caching Server 2 which is built in to cache copies of those applications locally to your OS X Server where your local clients can grab them from.

lsmc08
Contributor

@jyoung,

One easy way to accomplish this, is by doing the following:

1. Grab a computer that does not have the updated apps.

2. Log in with your local admin account.

3. Apply the update per every iWork app.

4. VERY IMPORTANT: After applying the update, DO NOT LAUNCH ANY OF THE APPS.

5. Once you have updated all the apps, launch Composer.

6. Under Composer, on the left pane, select and drop the app bundle (for example, iMovie.app) for the desired app.

7. Create a pkg of the app and name it something like iMovie_10.0.5, etc.

8. Repeat steps 5-7 to create pkgs of the rest of the apps.

9. Load all the pkgs to Casper Admin.

10. Create Smart Groups to scope computers that do not have the current versions, like App name = iMovie.app and version is not 10.0.5. Make sure your Smart Groups are configured properly so that you capture exactly what you need.

11. Test your pkgs before deploying them.

12. Create a policy for every app version you're updating.

The reason for creating a policy for every app version is that you might run into a situation where one app might be updated later on and not the other apps, thus in some ways, it's easier/better for record keeping. However, you can create a policy to deploy all the apps/everything at once - it's up to you.

jyoung
New Contributor

@lsmc08,

Sounds like the ideal approach. Sadly, we only have the imaging component of the software. Not the entire suite. Guess I should have mentioned that in the beginning. Sorry.

JY

rrouleau
Contributor

@jyoung][/url][/url

Look at "Packages" or "Iceberg" then, for free packagers.
I am not sure if I'm allowed to link them, but Google for them. You'll find them. ;)

You can use the same philosophy as @lsmc08][/url][/url mentioned above pushing the updates thru ARD

jcurrin
New Contributor III

You don't actually have to re-package any applications from the App Store. Whenever you download a file from the app store it is actually downloaded as a .pkg. rtrouton wrote a great walkthrough which will save you a bunch of time. All of your apps then come fully signed and without any erroneous files. http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2013/8/22/downloading-apples-server-app-installer-package/

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

@jcurrin

Good call linking to Rich Trouton's post. His post has helped us more than once since the App Store debut.