newly enrolled 1K's of plugins

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Did a brief search, sorry for possible dbl post.

New to JAMF and Casper, but each time we enroll a new Mac it shows nearly 200K plugins. Any advise on how to quickly lower this number? Or is this just the beginning of a long process of slowly figuring out what belongs to what and uninstalling apps?

If there's already a thread on my apologies. Please give me the link and I'll read for myself.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

7 REPLIES 7

scottb
Honored Contributor

You probably want to disable this @mtiffany - of course unless you need that info...

46ee9cb83a9549b8b787f8c56a7a37b8

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response @scottb ! I'm really not sure why I would need that info but it does seem like a lot of plugins. During JumpStart it seemed like they kept commenting on how "wow that's a lot". So it made me feel like I better do something about it. Is this something most just ignore?

scottb
Honored Contributor

Most? No idea. I just know that I do not need or want it so it's off ;)

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mtiffany

That certainly doesn't sound like behavior we'd expect to see.

As was mentioned, there is no need to collect plug-in inventory if it's not something you need to collect in your environment, and we can always flush out the plug-ins table in the database, but if you're seeing newly enrolled computers come in with 200k+ plug-ins showing and you know that there is no way those computers would have that many plugins, we're seeing something unexpected here that should be looked into.

If you haven't already, please get in touch with your Technical Account Manager so you can send them some screenshots of an affected inventory record and possibly set up a WebEx so they can see what you're seeing and dig into it a bit further.

You can get in touch with your Technical Account Manager by giving them a call, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will route directly to their case queue; if they are out or unavailable, it will also allow others to see that it's there and waiting), or by using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Our plug-in collection has been disabled for a long time. It has had a tendency to bloat the db and cause performance problems. That was a while ago though, back in the Casper Suite 8.x days, so its possible it handles the plug-ins better these days - I don't know. But generally speaking, unless you really need them, I suggest turning it off, and then creating a few Extension Attributes to track the couple of plug-ins you may care about. That's what we've done.

mtiffany
New Contributor III

Thanks all! Oh @amanda.wulff I think my comment is getting taken out of context. There was no behavior problem with our jumpstart guys. In fact they were incredibly awesome! As trainers, best I've been with in years!

I'll reach out to our TAM if we decide to keep monitoring plugins. For now I think I'll just turn that off.

Thanks again all!!

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mtiffany

Ah, sorry for the confusion, I meant the behavior of your JSS is unexpected and not something we'd expect to see, not that the people who did the Jumpstart made any mistakes. :)

Turning off plug-in collection won't retroactively remove the odd amount we're seeing from the existing affected records, so it may still be a good idea to touch base with your TAM just to give it a quick look.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support