News Widget and Student iPads

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Example of today's headline: School bus driver who raped a 14yr old won't go to prison.

We have suppressed the News App, we have turned off the Notifications for News.

And still, the News Widget is splashing these "Headlines" across Student iPads.
I have searched through Config Profile options for any reference to Widgets, not finding anything.
Has anyone found a way to make it stop?

8 REPLIES 8

sshort
Valued Contributor

Eeek... yeah it would be nice to have a dedicated widgets restriction. When I installed a restrictions profile on my iPad this morning to test, I blacklisted com.apple.news and disabled "Allow News" and the News app disappears from the widgets list (so it doesn't even appear as an option in the notifications settings b/c it's gone).

It's been about 3-4 hours without a News notification coming through, is this your setup as well? I would think those 2 restrictions would cover anything News related. The only other restriction I see that might come into play is disabling "Show Today view on Lock screen." I'm on the latest iOS 12.2.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Wow, @sshort than you SO MUCH for this!!
I will give it a shot!
Sandy

bfrench
Contributor III

This seemed to work for awhile but noticed today that news headlines are showing up in the widgets again. Has something changed recently? Is there another com.apple to add to the list?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

I plugged my iPad into AC2 and read the console while interacting with news notifications and the widget. com.apple.news came back as the bundle id each time :/ .

bfrench
Contributor III

Thanks for checking that. After I thought about it the bundle identifier would only block the app. So the Restriction for News is possibly not working?
16e54af976f746358fbb05dd916b8a1c

bfrench
Contributor III

The News Restriction is working to block News from Siri Search - but widgets are still allowed.

ealitrc
New Contributor II

Is there anyway to allow the battery widget? Thank you very much.

bfrench
Contributor III

Even with News blocked headlines appear in the widget until the device is restarted one time after setup.