NSURLErrorDomain error -1100

douglasm
New Contributor

Currently our Snow Leopard and Lion clients are no longer receiving Apple Software Updates through the policy in JAMF (up-to-date now with 8.6). They all report the error "NSURLErrorDomain error -1100". If you manually run Software Updates from the GUI they download and install fine so the server itself seems to be okay. We have an internal Mac OS X server publishing the updates running Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server. I would assume the solution will involve the server or JAMF since clients with 10.6.8, 10.7.2, 10.7.3 and 10.7.4 are all affected including newly imaged workstations. (I did a search for this error here and found an older discussion but the server was reporting that same error and it was resolved with the update to 10.6.3 so this is probably different.)

-Doug

10 REPLIES 10

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I think something funky is going on with my sus. I have exactly the same problem this evening.

Tomorrow I am going to disable the java update in the sus and rebuild my test machine.

No idea if that is it but that is the only thing that has changed.

I fear Apple are fiddling again! Anyone got a massive wet Kipper I can slap Apple round the face with?

jtebockh
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I am not sure if it is a SU server problem, because it works if I run software update manually on the clients. It only fails if I run my policy, which I have the Set Server and Install All Software Updates checked under the packages tab. The logs show it is trying to install a java update 004, which is no longer available on my SU server because it has been replaced by java update 005. I am not sure why the casper clients are still looking for this package when the policy runs. Any ideas?

sgorney
New Contributor III

I am getting this same error on a client machine. Has anyone found a solution to this?

curullij
Contributor

Did anyone find a solution to this issue?

franton
Valued Contributor III

I have ... but you're probably not going to like it. No credit to me on this one, found a variant of this script on the Apple forums somewhere.

Anyway that error only comes up when there isn't any software updates available for the computer you're trying to update. If there were updates present for it, they'd deploy in the normal way. As to what causes it, no clue as I wrestle with this on a 10.6.8 Server Xserve.

Try this script. You'll have to reset ALL your update selections but it does cure things ... for a while.

#!/bin/bash

# reset the software update service
# Lovingly stolen from an article on Apple's forums (lost the link)
# Implemented: r.purves@arts.ac.uk - April 2013.

echo "Stopping SUS service"
serveradmin stop swupdate

echo "Deleting cache files"
rm /private/var/db/swupd/html/catalogs.*
rm /private/var/db/swupd/html/index.*
rm /private/var/db/swupd/html/content/catalogs/index*
rm /private/var/db/swupd/html/content/catalogs/others/*
rm /private/var/db/swupd/html/content/catalogs/Deprecations.*

echo "Deleting swupdate plist"
rm /private/etc/swupd/com.apple.server.swupdate.plist

echo "Restarting SUS service"
serveradmin start swupdate
tail -f /var/log/swupd/swupd_syncd_log

echo "If you see Sync Complete and the script is still running"
echo "press control+c"

curullij
Contributor

Hi franton,

Thanks for the script.. but I suspect my issue runs deeper. I've since discovered that none of the machines with our 10.8 image can receive software updates.
I've removed our Apple server from the equation by resetting the com.apple.softwareupdate plist so they go to Apple's servers but even then they return the error "A server with the specified hostname could not be found.(-1003)". I've tried the machines offsite, same error and I've opened a brand new machine from Apple and it works on our site - so it's not location specific. I think something is up with our image... now the fun begins. I just can't think of what would be causing the issue...

franton
Valued Contributor III

No worries. All I know is that it's a big issue that seems to be present in all Apple SUS versions from 10.6.8 (our current server version) upwards.

I'm investigating a resposado/margarita solution to see if that's any better.

rickgmac
Contributor

I have seen this recently as well.

I have been using the run command option in advanced policy to force looking at a specific server

softwareupdate -ia --CatalogURL http://sus.server.com:8088/index.sucatalog

Thanks to the post from Greg Neagle's website, after uncovering some hidden options from the softwareupdate binary

clay7331
New Contributor

I worked on this today and found that there were some mcx settings (run an mcxquery to see) that were getting applied and overriding the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate. I ended up having to setup a new mcx setting to get the client to point to my new sus server or catalog. FWIW: I setup a reposado server.

Back to the original point, the MCX settings are somewhere you may want to look.

dderusha
Contributor

I agree with Clay7331

Back to the original point, the MCX settings are somewhere you may want to look.

I updated a mac yesterday that was 10.6.8. It was using MCX to set the SUS. updated to 10.8.2 and needed to get up to 10.8.3. Software update errored with the -1100 error. Were setting our SUS with profiles now, but still got the error.
Removed everything from /Library/Managed Preferences still not working.
Open Terminal and entered

sudo dscl . -mcxdelete /Users/your user name
you may also need to sudo dscl . -mcxdelete /Computers/localhost

you may also need to unscope the desired macs from the MCX configuration

Dan