Odd question regarding extension attributes

jarradyuhas
Contributor

I would like to be able to modify a string extension attribute based on a policy. Is this possible?

Heres our situation. We loan computers to students all over the state of PA and upon graduation or withdrawal, they are supposed to send the computers back to us. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. For those that don't, I have setup an Extension Attribute string that allows us to choose whether or not the computer is delinquent. If they are delinquent, the computer gets added to a smart group and an ongoing offline policy is run on that computer with the every5 trigger that pops up a reboot alert saying that they are required to send back their computer. What I would like to do is make it so that if the computer is marked as delinquent but is on our network, it changes the delinquency status to not delinquent. Can this be accomplished at all?

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If you're talking about an Extension Attribute with a value assigned manually in a text field or a drop down menu, I don't know that there's any easy way to update those programmatically. With a script based EA its pretty easy, but with those... honestly I don't know of a way.

What may serve you better is to set up the policy to only run on network Segments outside the range of your network.. That way, even if the value of the EA was set to "delinquent" if it is appearing on your network, the policy simply won't run on it.
Or, you may be able to make a change to the Smart Group scoped to that policy so it filters out Macs already on your network, so they'd fall out of the scope regardless of the status of the EA text.

Does that make sense?