Office 2016 "Installer" vs. "Updater" packages

AmigoDeluxe
New Contributor III

Does anyone know what is the difference between deploying the "Installer" and "Updater" Office 2016 packages to Macs which already have an older Office 2016 version? Does the "Installer" reset any user settings while the "Updater" doesn't? But what is interesting is that for MAU and OneNote there are only "Updater" versions and for Skype for Business only "Installer" so what gives? Can "Updater" versions be deployed to freshly enrolled Macs without Office 2016 already installed?

We use O365 subscriptions so no VLK scenario in our case.

Links
Macadmins Software
Microsoft

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

talkingmoose

The Microsoft individual app installers and updaters are effectively the same bits, but the update packages don't contain the licensing components for Office for Mac. I don't believe you'll be able to activate Office 365 and keep it activated without them.

None of the Microsoft installers touch or change user data. During a product upgrade, an installer may work to help import from an older version application, but it will leave the original data alone.

MAU has no licensing associated with it. The installer also acts as an updater. OneNote requires you sign in with an Office 365 account. It doesn't need licensing components.

In a nutshell, user installers not updaters to deploy new installs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

talkingmoose

The Microsoft individual app installers and updaters are effectively the same bits, but the update packages don't contain the licensing components for Office for Mac. I don't believe you'll be able to activate Office 365 and keep it activated without them.

None of the Microsoft installers touch or change user data. During a product upgrade, an installer may work to help import from an older version application, but it will leave the original data alone.

MAU has no licensing associated with it. The installer also acts as an updater. OneNote requires you sign in with an Office 365 account. It doesn't need licensing components.

In a nutshell, user installers not updaters to deploy new installs.

dmillertds
Contributor

We use VLK. I'm trying to refresh my Office 2016 installation deployment, both in terms of the JSS policies as well as updating existing installs. The primary driver for this is we are moving to High Sierra for the fall). I am wondering if I get the "official" ISO from the MS VLK site, or the much more recent package linked here: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/third-party-products/383/office-for-mac-2016?view=info. I'd prefer the latter, but not sure if it will play nice with the volume licensing? Also, I was just using the plist copy/paste approach to get the license to work previously, but it sounds like the serializer is the way to go now. Anyone have an opinion if I just run the serializer post-install, will it automagically work, or will it not like my earlier plist being there?

Oh, I did get the latest MAU and it appears to work for those installs that are > 15.34, but I have many that are earlier than that.

talkingmoose

@dmillertds, you might want to start a new discussion when asking about something different from the original topic. You'll stand a better chance of more eyes seeing your message.

To answer your question, the Volume License Serializer 2.0 package from Microsoft's Volume License Service Center (VLSC) is designed to be installed before or after installing the SKUless installer (a full installer with no licensing yet associated with it). You can reference https://macadmins.software for the latest Office 2016 for Mac installers.

FYI, eventually only the Serializer package will be offered on the VLSC. You'll need to follow the above procedure anyway at some point in the future. You'll be ahead of the game by starting now.

dmillertds
Contributor

Thanks talkingmoose. I did consider starting a new thread, but it seemed fairly closely related to this one. I guess my main question is, does anyone know if the installer posted under 3rd Party Products is SKU-less or not? It's substantially newer than the one on the volume license download page, so I'd prefer to use it, but I don't want to get caught in the Retail/Office365 web! I'm also hoping I can use the serializer without having to explicitly delete the plist I deployed earlier first.

talkingmoose

@dmillertds, starting with the Office 2016 for Mac installers, there's only one set of bits. By default, those bits are SKUless (not associated with any type of license). The licensing you apply after installation determines how they will behave.

• Activate with an Office 365 account and you'll get the fullest set of features.
  • Activate with a key you receive by purchasing at a big box store and you'll get a license to use Office 2016 forever with slightly fewer features. Perpetual licenses are valid only for that product. You'd need to purchase office 2019 separately when it's released.
  • License with the Volume License Serializer from Microsoft's enterprise portal and get a perpetual license with slightly fewer features but none of the hassle of activation.

This link found on https://macadmins.software will always download the current production SKUless Office 2016 installer: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=525133

bozemans
New Contributor III

@talkingmoose Do you use Composer to create your install packages? And if you do...do you create a .dmg or a .pkg. We are upgrading to 10.13, too. I have noted with Jamf Pro that I can now add two packages to one policy. So, I am testing a stacking method for my Office 2016 and the serializer in one policy and forcing a restart after the install is complete. I am also only using Self Service to distribute this product because we are using the DEP method to upgrade to 10.13.xx
Your expert thoughts would be appreciated....

Jamf Pro 10.4.1
OS 10.13.xx - DEP install/deployment
Using Self Service - App Install

talkingmoose

@bozemans, I don't repackage Microsoft Office for Mac at all. Jamf accepts native PKG installers without needing to repackage.

Deploying multiple packages in one policy makes sense for items like Office where everything is related and must be deployed together to work. Installing the Volume License Serializer along with the SKUless installer from https://macadmins.software is a good way to go.

Your workflows for installing software are going to heavily depend on the experience you want users to have and the limitations of your environment (network speeds, location of distribution points, Jamf Pro accessibility to Internet clients, etc.).

If Office were a requirement for users to do their jobs, I'd install it automatically. If it were optional for users, I'd put it into Self Service.

If my network or servers were limited or I didn't want to have to download and maintain a new installer every month, I'd consider using my script to download and install Office from the Internet and then setting Microsoft AutoUpdate to automatically download and install updates to keep it up-to-date. The less I have to manage, the better.

If I had to test every software update and control deployment, I'd install the full version of our currently supported Office and then use @pbowden's msupdate command line tool in Microsoft AutoUpdate 3.18 or later to specify the version to install and use Jamf Pro to control the timing and execution.

The combinations of options for installing and updating are almost overwhelming now. And come later this year, when Microsoft puts Office for Mac in Apple's App Store, we'll have yet another way to deploy and maintain updates.