Office 2019 1st time launching Apps

prabe
New Contributor II

I'm working on deploying a cart of MacBooks that will use the Guest user to sign in. I'm trying to avoid the user having to accept the Data Notice and other prompts when opening any of the Office programs. Anyone know what plist(if any) file could be pushed at login each time so the user doesn't have to add 3 clicks every-time to use the Office products? I'm using Office 2019 volume licensed software. I've looked at the com.microsoft.office.plist and com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist. Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2016/01/17/suppressing-office-2016s-first-run-dialog-windows/
The above may not contain all the settings needed for Office 2019 (as it was originally written by @rtrouton for 2016, but I believe most are still the same) but it should have the majority of the keys necessary.
I followed his guide and made a custom settings Config Profile out of them and it works well.

Also read the comments, as there are some suggestions there that could be relevant.

prabe
New Contributor II

I will certainly take a look at that post and see if it applies to the 2019 version. Thanks!

seraphina
Contributor II

Here are the keypairs you need for the configuration profile (Set it at computer level, this will apply to all users.)

com.microsoft.office.plist
defaults write OfficeAutoSignIn -bool TRUE
defaults write ShowWhatsNewOnLaunch -bool FALSE

com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist
defaults write AcknowledgedDataCollectionPolicy RequiredDataOnly

prabe
New Contributor II

mlizbeth, are you saying to create a config profile with custom settings? Then upload the xml file with the keys you listed out? Thanks for the assistance!

seraphina
Contributor II

@prabe Correct.

#!/bin/bash
defaults write ~/Desktop/com.microsoft.office.plist OfficeAutoSignIn -bool TRUE
defaults write ~/Desktop/com.microsoft.office.plist ShowWhatsNewOnLaunch -bool FALSE
defaults write ~/Desktop/com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist AcknowledgedDataCollectionPolicy RequiredDataOnly
plutil -convert xml1 ~/Desktop/com.microsoft.office.plist
plutil -convert xml1 ~/Desktop/com.microsoft.autoupdate2.plist

Then upload the 2 plist files to a Jamf Configuration Profile under "Custom Settings"

sshort
Valued Contributor

@prabe Paul Bowden with the Office for Mac team has some great training sessions as well: https://office4mac.thinkific.com/

prabe
New Contributor II

@mlizbeth Thank you! I will give that a try.
@sshort I will certainly take a look at the sessions as well. Thank you!