Office Communicator

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Hi-

Has anyone else packaged Microsoft Office Communicator 2011? I'm doing it and have found that the server name setting is stored, stupidly, in a ByHost pref file. Simple question I guess if the "fix By Host files" option in my policy should make it correct for when I deploy it.

Thanks!
j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

9 REPLIES 9

Matt
Valued Contributor

I have packaged it. When I get to my desk ill give you the 411.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Cool, thanks. Preliminarily, I found that I can probably place the file in the ByHost location and then rename it with a script. I can find the UUID with:

ioreg -rd1 -c IOPlatformExpertDevice | grep -E '(UUID)'

I'd pipe it back through cut or sed, set it to a variable and then just rename the file. Is that the angle you've gone on?

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street

Matt
Valued Contributor

Using this link I was able to create a plist and then I packaged it in composer. This is installed during imaging and/or via Smart Groups.

http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/deploy/item/c9e35cc1-30c6-4fc8-bfda-ebb2378ab0d5

--
Matt Lee, CCA/ACMT/ACPT/ACDT
Senior IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Cool. So are you just using the /Library/Preferences/MicrosoftCommunicatorRegistrationDB.plist location?

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street

Matt
Valued Contributor

I am. This has worked amazing in conjunction with the Certificate Injection Script in the resource toolkit.

--
Matt Lee, CCA/ACMT/ACPT/ACDT
Senior IT Analyst / Desktop Architecture Team / Apple S.M.E / JAMF Casper Administrator
Fox Networks Group

dexterrivera
New Contributor III

Hi Matt.

Any chance you can send me steps to get this going? I have created a .plist and placed it in the locations per that link in this thread but I can't seem to get the TLS and internal server address to show. Other preferences in Communicator show fine. FYI. I did not see the MicrosoftCommunicatorRegistrationDB.plist file in /Library/Preferences so I just created one and placed it in that path. And modified com.microsoft.Communicator.plist for the other preferences. Oh, and where can I get that resource toolkit you mention because I will need to get a certificate in place too for authentication.

Thanks in advance.

talkingmoose

I believe the MicrosoftCommunicatorRegistrationDB.plist file is identical to Lync's version of the file. (The Lync file even says "Communicator" instead of "Lync" in the key names.)

It has some unusual formatting using markup codes in place of some of the angle brackets. Using angle brackets themselves seems to thwart things.

Download my Lync setup files and you'll find a copy of the plist file in there. Open it in a plain text editor change the server addresses in the specified section. Leave the unusual formatting alone.

See if this gets you what you're needing.

dexterrivera
New Contributor III

Thanks TalkingMoose. I ended finding the Communicator 2001 Deployment guide in TechNet that in combination with the .plist you have got me brainstorming and now have it working! The best part is that we recently created the DNS SRV for our pool so no longer needed to set the server addresses.

jeffpugh
New Contributor III

I'm trying to globally manage the /saveconversation preference in communicator 2011. Has anyone been able to do this before? Any help is appreciated.