Ok, ok, I listened....

Andrina
Contributor
Contributor

Not quite the @gregneagle version of slides, but I've posted the deck I presented at JNUC 2013 into the github repo - https://github.com/andrina/JNUC2013/tree/master/Users%20Do%20Your%20Job

Enjoy!

13 REPLIES 13

Graves
New Contributor

Thanks!

jennifer
Contributor

Thanks!

ahambidge
New Contributor II

@andrinak - your presentation was terrific and your posting of your scripts is incredibly helpful. Thank you!

danmadden
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Thanks, Andrina.

Bartoo
New Contributor III

Thanks!

Bartoo
New Contributor III

Thanks!

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

@andrinak I looked at your ignore ownership script and just thought I'd let you know I had lots of corrupt databases using vsdbutil. Instead I use diskutil disableOwnership

PeterClarke
Contributor II

The PDF is refusing to download for me..

- Says it's too big.. (And I am not short of disk space in this instance)

Andrina
Contributor
Contributor

@tkimpton Interesting! I've not seen similar here, but as usual there's always more than one way to do anything ;-)

Andrina
Contributor
Contributor

@PeterClarke - if you go up a level to https://github.com/andrina/JNUC2013 you can in fact bring down a zip of all the files up there.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I had a separate scratch disk for users for Photoshop and Illustrator and blasted out settings for FEU and FUT.

I had to set ignore ownership at boot up and set it hidden.

I had quite a lot of people coming back with Photoshop scratch disk permission prompts and found out vsdbutil corrupted the database file.

As soon as I started using diskutil command it was fine and no more errors :)

cdev
Contributor III

I've been playing with your keychain rebuilding script, but having issues with any user that passes a $ as part of their password. For some reason, the script/shell is interpreting this as a variable instead of the string that is the users password and then the script fails. We've seen this behavior with this script and one that adds the user to FileVault for unlocking the computer, but haven't been able to track-down the cause. Any thoughts?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

when I try to run the computer name script, it doesn't display anything. I took the variables out and just ran through terminal and the dialog box appears, so I think it's erring out with ```

Dialog to enter the computer name and the create $COMPUTERNAME variable

rv=($($CD standard-inputbox --title "Computer Name" --no-newline --informative-text "Enter the computer name you wish to set"))
COMPUTERNAME=${rv[1]}

if I use just the ```
/MacOS/cocoaDialog standard-inputbox ---etc

then the box appears.