Old Quicktime files in HTML and Yosemite.

Look
Valued Contributor III

In a bit of a bind here.
We have some very old media that is HTML based and has old old old (you get the idea) Quicktime files included in it.
In previous years we have always managed to jig them into working one way or another, but with the advent of Yosemite it is proving impossible (for me at least).
You can directly open the files in Safari for example and they appear to play without issue (seemingly in Quicktime X), however when referenced by an HTML file it tries to use the old Quicktime which used to work but looks to be broken under Yosemite. Does anyone know a way of forcing the browser to default to whatever player is successfully working when you play them directly? and how to confirm exactly what that player happens to be...

5 REPLIES 5

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

Have you looked into converting the files from whatever format they are in to something newer?
Handbrake of FFMPEG might be able to help. you may need to run those tools on 10.8/10.9 with QT 7 installed etc etc

Look
Valued Contributor III

@calumhunter
Yes we have however there is a large volume and they are spread over a fairly large internal website.
Have decided they get 10.9.5 in the short term until a project can be started to modernise the files.
It's just odd that Safari can play the source files directly (so obviously codecs etc...) are there, but not when they are linked via a webpage.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

@Look.

Ahh ok yeah that might take some time, i'd probably try to script it as much as possible because no one likes doing that sort of thing

What about other browsers? Chrome, Firefox? is it just Safari that chokes?

Have you tried playing around with MIME types?

Look
Valued Contributor III

They all appear to use the same Quicktime plugin set (or at least Firefox and Safari do).
Chrome is actually fully 64 now and won't support Quicktime 7 at all apparently.
But even old versions of Chrome which work fine under 10.9.5 won't do it under 10.10

We have a work around for now, but yeah time for people to modernise a little :)

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I'd recommend trying Perian (http://www.perian.org). I use it on old OS X instances (10.7, for example) to play .avi and other video files and it works really well. I have a feeling it'll do something comparable for a newer OS and older video files.