On prem or Cloud ?

KRIECCO
Contributor

What is the best way to go for new customers. We have about 250 macs, spread across the world from Europe, US to Asia. . We are already maintaining a lot of servers, so that it not the problem if we get one more
Can see they also now jamf Premium cloud - but very expensive.

Would like to know what other companies are doing ? - Also there can be some security issue, as company data is placed in a third party suppliers cloud

5 REPLIES 5

RonHunter21
New Contributor II

its up to you if you want to manage or let JAMF manage.

mrcharette
New Contributor

We were previously using Apple's MDM server on a mac mini and our current initiative is to migrate our current work loads to a more cloud based infrastructure. We thought about running Jamf in AWS but having to update the server ourselves was a burden we didn't want. We've only been running Jamf Cloud for a couple of weeks and glad to have jumped to this product!

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

We are spread out throughout the US, and find that having a single internal server/DP (with second in DMZ for reporting) does the job for us with the exception of package pushes to the far corners of the country (CA/Boston). Ideally, we would use http file sharing, but security won't allow us to open those holes up, so must be on internal corp network to get packages. If we were spread out internationally, I'd probably look at AWS hosting (which we're quickly adopting for other projects) or clustered and load balanced one in NA and one in Asia or Europe. There are a large number of users on here in your situation so I expect you'll get more suggestions quickly.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

I love that we moved to the cloud... I sleep 1,000 times better : )

C

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

If everything is equal, go Cloud...pesky upgrades/maintenance are someone else’s problem.

Never is everything truly equal though...the three biggest things that come to mind are connection speeds, security, and cost.

Connection speeds...what kind of speeds are you going to get on a device in Asia vs. North America? Maybe do some real world testing with test instances if possible. If you’re in a country with heavy filtering, consider whether AWS (which is what Jamf uses) is going to be blocked one day. Speed tests and content tests.

Cost...perhaps you didn’t see a great difference on connection issues or the difference marginal...always keep the accountants happy and run the financials. If Hardware plus software plus infrastructure plus labor cost to maintain The service is greater one way or the other that should shed some light on the situation.

Security/control/maintenance talent: Security is getting better and better with cloud services these days but ultimately do you consider something you control safer versus somethings are hosting providers such as Jamf controls safer? If you are hosting this in house, do you have staffing talent to perform the upgrades or scale up as needed? Are there privacy laws or some sort that you are subject to you in all the countries that you are in? Are there certain scaling settings that you want control of in house? On the cloud side, if AWS had another large outage like they did a while back, could your company withstand it? From a security standpoint, could you handle the necessary firewall changes or URL differences that would come with a cloud instance?

In short I can’t answer for your company but I hope I’ve given you some food for thought that might assist you in making the decision.