Once per computer execution frequency and OS reinstalls?

vrtigo1
New Contributor

Very new to Mac management and JAMF.  I've been using a test Mac to test my enrollment and policies and noticed that if I reinstall OSX to test the OOBE, the policies I have set to "once per computer" don't seem to re-run.

Looking here, I see that there is a command to flush the policy history and effectively "reset" the computer.  So, I ended up creating a script to run that command, set it to trigger upon enrollment and set the execution frequency to "ongoing".  I also set the script priority to run before other actions.

I assume this should mean that when the test Mac has OSX reinstalled, when it completes enrollment, that script should be the first thing to run and the policy history should be cleared and all of the other policies set to trigger at enrollment and run once per computer should run, but they're not.

If I pull up the computer in question in JAMF Pro inventory and look at the policy history tab, I can see that the policy flush did run, but for whatever reason, none of the other policies triggered by enrollment ran.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I think most would agree that the better way to test OOBE would be to delete the computer out of Jamf Pro after you have re-installed macOS, but before you go through Setup Assistant. Or, as the device is re-installing macOS, then delete it.

However another option is to make sure you have "Clear policy logs" checked in Settings -> Global -> Re-enrollment. I have everything checked because I want everything cleared out.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I think most would agree that the better way to test OOBE would be to delete the computer out of Jamf Pro after you have re-installed macOS, but before you go through Setup Assistant. Or, as the device is re-installing macOS, then delete it.

However another option is to make sure you have "Clear policy logs" checked in Settings -> Global -> Re-enrollment. I have everything checked because I want everything cleared out.

Yes I considered deleting computers from JAMF Pro, but the challenge with that approach is our helpdesk staff will most likely not have access to the JAMF Pro console, and need to be able to re-install OSX and have the policies fire again without waiting on me.

I'm not sure why the flushPolicyHistory command didn't work, but the clear policy logs under settings > re-enrollment seems to do the trick, thanks!