OneDrive for Business MAS to Standalone

JoshRouthier
Contributor

My apologies if this exists elsewhere, I looked through the forum, but nothing seemed to match my scenario.

I currently have been deploying OneDrive for Business via VPP (device), but I'm looking to migrate our users to the standalone version. In my experience it seems that the OneDrive VPP app doesn't update via Jamf/MAS, mainly because OneDrive needs to quit to perform the update. Since there is never an alert to the user to quit OneDrive, the app never updates. From my understanding the Standalone version keeps itself up to date, so no need for me to manage updates on it (outside of finding a user very out of date for whatever reason).

So here is my question's, has anyone migrated their users from the VPP version to the Standalone version successfully? Are there any pitfalls or things that should be considered for such a change? In your opinion is the Standalone version better/easier to manage as it appears from my findings?

Thank you for any help that you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

There is now a migration tool built into the OneDrive Standalone installer. All you'll need to do is remove the current MAS version and then install the Standalone version. During its install, the MAS data will be detected and properly convert plist and settings over to the standalone versions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

There is now a migration tool built into the OneDrive Standalone installer. All you'll need to do is remove the current MAS version and then install the Standalone version. During its install, the MAS data will be detected and properly convert plist and settings over to the standalone versions.

JoshRouthier
Contributor

Worked like a charm, thank you for that information!

PatrickD
Contributor II

Hi @DBrowning and @JoshRouthier,

Have either of you been through this migration process recently? We are trying to migrate from the MAS version to the standalone version but we have been unable to get it working and I have not been able to find any documentation on this from MS.

MS support have advised that they do not support migrating from MAS to Standalone despite there being an od_migration script in the Standalone OneDrive installer package which specifically states "Functions to migrate OneDrive Store to Standalone through Installer".

Cheers