OnPrem JIM server vs Azure

gloper1977
Contributor

Looking for some advice.  I was not involved with the initial setup of our Jamf Pro instance.  Our Jamf has been in the cloud since day one.  They set it up an on prem JIM server a VM.  All I can really see that it offers is user look up info for inventory when we assign a computer to a user.  When Jamf was setup we already had Azure in place.  Considering all the JIM is doing is providing User look up for inventory purposes wouldn't it have been easier to just add Azure as a Cloud Identity Provider?  Seems like a waste to be using VM space and Server OS license when we can just use Azure which we are already paying for.  If this is the case I'd like to ad Azure as a Cloud Identity Provider and have the server team decon our JIM.

2 REPLIES 2

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

Depending on when Jamf Pro was set up, the Azure Cloud IdP integration may not have been available yet.  The JIM is just an LDAP proxy, the VM communicates with on Prem AD infrastructure and then connects up to Jamf Pro as an LDAP option, which can be used not only for user look-up but scoping limitations as well as user-based profile allocations, and Enrollments/Enrollment Auth/UIE.  There are many people moving from the JIM to full Azure(mainly for security) and there is a migration path.  Reach out to success@jamf.com about it, please make sure you do not pull the plug on the JIM before you migrate. 

gloper1977
Contributor

We don't do user based Enrollments. We setup the MacBook for the user 100% before we send it to them.  It does sound like there would be limited migration necessary on our end really.