OS updated for user to install later

AForwood
New Contributor

Hello Jamf Nation! I am trying to update all of our Macbook OS to the latest version. We run a 24/7 operation so I don`t have a set time that I can push this out and not disrupt our business. So I send a remote mass command to a saved search with all the users that have outdated OS. I selected "download for user to install" so our users can update at their convenience. I am wondering once the OS is downloaded where do our users go to initiate the update? It might be a dumb question but a definitive answer would help a bunch. Thanks everyone!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@AForwood Be aware that depending on what version of macOS your Macs are currently running you may not get see a lot of successful updates with that command. Suppsoedly macOS 12.4 fixed that, but that's not much use for your Macs on older versions of macOS.

As for where to initiate, if the user doesn't get a popup notification they can always open System Preferences and select Software Update to install available updates.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@AForwood Be aware that depending on what version of macOS your Macs are currently running you may not get see a lot of successful updates with that command. Suppsoedly macOS 12.4 fixed that, but that's not much use for your Macs on older versions of macOS.

As for where to initiate, if the user doesn't get a popup notification they can always open System Preferences and select Software Update to install available updates.

@sdagley That is what I suspected, and thank you for the heads-up regarding the OS issues with older versions. Now I wont pull my hair out if I have issues. Very much appreciated!