OS X Server File Share Size Limits

applepsycho
New Contributor

Does anyone know how to set quotas to File Shares so we can manage the amount of data that can be stored on each share? Even a third party product that can install on OS X?

4 REPLIES 4

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm not sure if it's still available in the GUI / Server.app but there is a command line tool built in called quota that you could try.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

In the past I've used Webmin to manage that kind of thing.

I recommend Webmin for anyone who is having trouble bridging the gap between GUI and CLI administration. You still need to do your homework to understand the things it does, but webmin is great.

applepsycho
New Contributor

Isn't Webmin only for Linux?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Webmin can run on several flavors of unix. Webmin instructions for OSX The Mac instructions are a little old, but it should work as long as you go by the modern equivalent steps - namely the XCode command line tools and the version numbers of the Perl modules. The last time I installed it was in Mavericks, so I can't speak for compatibility in 10.10 or 10.11, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The cool thing is you don't need OSX Server to install it. You could install it on a spare "desktop" Mac to try it out and see if it works before you install it on your production server.