OSX Capitan/ DEP Macbooks wont boot from NetInstall or USB boot image

khurram
Contributor III

This is the first time we have acquired the Macbooks via DEP. While trying to image them via Casper Image the Macbook must be first booted other than the local image so the Casper Image could image the local image but we are unable to boot this Macbook from NetInstall or USB boot image. Please not that the NetInstall and USB boot images have previously worked like and charm and have imaged hundreds of Macbooks. The NetInstall OSX image is 10.9.2.

6 REPLIES 6

ivanlovisi
New Contributor III

I think, OSX 10.9.2 os not actually from new Mac's. To NetBoot a never mac you must have minimum a 10.11.1 NetBoot or NetInstall

RLR
Valued Contributor

I can't quite understand what's being asked but if you're trying to netboot with a 10.11.x device, you need to add the netboot server to the device trust list: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205054 and https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=411

ivanlovisi
New Contributor III

@RLR the whitelist is required only for the bless command.
The ALT or N key works always

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@khurram as @ivanbs stated, if it's a new MacBook, you're not going to be able to NetBoot the system from a 10.9.2 NetInstall OS X image. That OS is too old for a new MacBook. You're going to need to use likely a 10.11 NetInstall or NetBoot image to boot the system.

RLR
Valued Contributor
@RLR the whitelist is required only for the bless command. The ALT or N key works always

Ah, that's good to know! I thought it was for all. Don't feel so bad now when it comes to imaging the iMacs again.

khurram
Contributor III

We have now used 10.11.2 as the new NetInstall image, this NB image is now letting us boot from this image but not logging in into this image. The system.log show the following errors.

Jan 19 13:12:09 jss com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy[2634]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Jan 19 13:12:09 jss com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Jan 19 13:12:19 jss com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy[2635]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Jan 19 13:12:19 jss com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.serviceproxy): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.