Out of box experience for leaving students

jim269
New Contributor

At the end of the students time at our college, they are able to purchase their MBA for personal use.
What is the easiest way of erasing their HDD of all the schools software and settings and having the Out of box experience for the students?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

wipe and install 10.10?
do you need to keep their user data?
local accounts? network accounts? mobile accounts? is their user data on a separate partition?
you could back up the users home directory, wipe the drive install 10.10 image from autodmg, then restore users data to the drive all through a deploystudio workflow pretty easily.
if you don't care about user data its a no brainer, just format and re-install/image

jim269
New Contributor

Thats what im trying to achieve. The students have taken all their data off their macs so can format and install.

We are trying to achieve this using casper to do so via netboot.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

Ok easy. the question then becomes who is doing this work? IT or the end users?
If its IT then using casper to do it is not too much of a problem.
But if its your end users then i personally wouldnt use casper imaging its horribly clunky and i wouldnt want any of my users touching it.
Thats why i use deploystudio, you can lock down what the users have access to so they can't click the wrong thing or gain access to files or anything they shouldnt see.

If you want to go the casper route, then same rules apply. grab the yo yo installer from app store feed it into autodmg to create a never booted base image pop that into casper admin and create a configuration that erases the hard drive and installs the base image. then just netboot your client machine and pick that configuration and away you go.

powellbc
Contributor II

We do something similar to this for our student notebook program (the obvious difference for us is we run this process when the students get their notebook). Here is the process I would suggest:

1. Do as @calumhunter suggested and build a never booted imagine using AutoDMG (https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG)
  2. Create a configuration in the JSS (NOT Casper Admin) as this will allow you to create an image deployment configuration without specifying a management account. This way the laptop will not be managed by your JSS.
  3. Make sure you add a script to run at restart to delete the /var/db/.AppleSetupDone file. This will ensure the setup wizard runs again as Casper imaging recreates it in all cases I am aware of.

Good luck!

jim269
New Contributor

Thanks guys, will let you know how I get on with this.