Outlook (2011 / 15.6) Spinning Beach Ball, Office365

johnklimeck
Contributor II

Outlook (2011 / 15.6) Spinning Beach Ball, Office365

This has been going on for weeks, goes away, but pretty much always comes back
-OS 10.9.5 or 10.10x
-Outlook 2011 (14.4.7), or Outlook 15.6

Oddly enough we see it mainly on iMacs, wired Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or TB-Ethernet and not on MacBook Pro's. The only obvious difference in this hardware that I am aware of is the MBPs have SSD drives and iMacs do not.

This does not occur on our main location network, only seeing this for one satellite office on a point to point Verizon 100 Mb circuit. We have a bunch of pcap traces from these clients, and they show every few minutes reset connections to the Microsoft O365 servers. No firewall issues or web filters are involved. Network team has tried different circuits and re-routing traffic so it goes back thru the main network and the scenario where traffic egresses directly to MS O365 servers, same behavior. Spinning Beach Balls in Outlook. Thx in advance, John

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I wonder if the problem is on the Microsoft side, some sort of throttling or spam protection. The IP address for the affected site might be stuck somewhere there end.

Might be worth checking with your MS support contact just in case.

Do you have any MBPs that are working ok at the same site?

asegura
Contributor

I have a few clients having the same issue. I have a ticket open with Apple Enterprise Support to see if they can find the root cause. So far havent been able to pinpoint the issue. Tried all the steps that are listed on this website http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/troubleshoot/

johnklimeck
Contributor II

david,

At this point, it looks like that's where the issue may lie, at the MS side.

MS said to upgrade to Outlook 15x, and while this app is far better and more robust, the issue still occurs, feels like a O365 / MS network issue. We are re-engaging MS O365 support.

monosodium
Contributor

John,

Do your users that are affected have a lot (5000+) emails in their inbox or any one folder? We see this issue every once in a while and it is independent of hardware/OS and is just an issue with Outlook 2011. I believe it has to do with indexing issues in Outlook 2011.

johnklimeck
Contributor II

@monosodium][/url,

Thanks, yes familiar with 5000 emails thing. We have seen that is certain circumstances, but not in this one, only 12 GB mail box size, rather small comparatively. Looks like it also may be a bandwidth issue, almost all of the 100 Mb circuit is being utilized, (video). Still does not explain why we get MS Reconnect issues, is it us or MS servers. Investigating.