Outlook 2016 for Mac Email Encryption

Jason
Contributor II

Looking to see what common solutions exist to allow Mac users to send encrypted emails. We currently are testing Outlook for Mac 2016, so anything that could integrate in with that would be beneficial.

Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

chad_fox
Contributor II

We are using AD RMS for for permission based emails.

As far as encrypting, this article will explain the process to do so.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984223(v=office.16).aspx

rwinfie
Contributor

Symantec PGP has email encryption that can be integrated with outlook 2016 if you use pop or IMAP connections for your email server.

fritz_schlapbac
Contributor

Using S/MIME is another possibility: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj984223(v=office.16).aspx

al_platt
Contributor II

Symantec PGP doesn't work with Exchange though. And it's a really terrible product. I've spent hours fighting to get it working and it just doesn't.

Their support is terrible too, telling me that it works if I download Office 2013 for Mac.... Err, OK.

Jason
Contributor II

For this I'm limiting any solution to ones that don't require the person receiving the email to have something special setup (like having generated their own digital cert). ZixCorp makes a product, but it only works for Windows. LeapFile also has a web based portal that would work, but it'd be better if it could integrate right in with outlook, or at least have a client for Mac. Symantec PGP looked like it could be nice from their website, but if it doesn't work with Exchange then that wouldn't be an option.

al_platt
Contributor II

@Jason Yes Symantec PGP "looks" nice but in reality it's a terrible product for Mac. We use it with the KeyServer and for Windows it's great. But for encryption on the Mac side it's either S/Mime or GPG Tools.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I can't tell you all that much about how it works on the backend since I'm not involved in setup, but we use Voltage. Its an HP Enterprise product. As far as I know, there's nothing special to install on the client. It works with Outlook 2011 and 2016 on the Mac.