PaperCut PCClient Firewall Issues

cforte
New Contributor

So, we are using PaperCut and have the client launching at logon for our clients in public labs. We're running into an issue where the OS X firewall doesn't remember to allow connections with that application. At first logon with an administrative account, I tell it to allow connections. On subsequent logons with that same user account, as well as others, I get prompted again.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get the firewall to remember these settings. I ran:

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --listapps

This showed /Applications/PCClient.app is set to allow incoming connections. And yet I still get prompted at every logon. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: OS is 10.9.5

3 REPLIES 3

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

What if you allowed "/Application/PCClient.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher" ?

cforte
New Contributor

I've tried doing that, but I haven't had much luck. When I use -add, the process just hangs. I read about signing the binary, but when I use the syntax everyone else uses with the -s flag, I get an invalid argument error.

malroy
New Contributor II

Hi cforte,

This is what i used and it works for my environment. you can try it out. i have the same issue with you and thought of signing. You need get from the vendor a new client as well , i am using 14.1 and it works for me.

Turn off Firewall rule
/usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --setglobalstate off

Reset Firewall rule
rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist 2>/dev/null

/usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add "/Applications/PCClient.app"

sleep 20

Turn on Firewall rule
/usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --setglobalstate on