Papercut Print Deploy Client

Phoenix99
New Contributor

HI,

I am having trouble deploying the Papercut Print Deploy Client.

The two queues work fine. When I try to reach the correct port via the browser I get the hot green coffee.

I followed the instructions from Papercut however my OS Version is Sonoma which doesn't have Managed Preferences so I unsure then how the plist you create is supposed to work.

I tried to override the Server_Host value but adding it in Enabling and Print deploy and then putting in the FQDN of the server.

I am getting This is Akward from the Print Deploy app on the Macs as they can't find their way back to the server.

Does anyone has any suggestions to get around this issue please? Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

mickgrant
Contributor III

Our plist is deployed through a configuration profile > Application and custom settings payload
Preference Domain: com.papercut.printdeploy.client

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>server_host</key>
	<string>YOURPAPERCUTDOMAINNAMEHERE</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hi @mickgrant thank you. That's the same setting we have. My understanding is that is placed in Managed Preferences which doesn't exist in the latest version of MAC OS.

AntMac
Contributor II

Hi 

The PaperCut Print deploy instructions can be very confusing at first. We did this dance recently with print deploy and getting the user client out there. This will be a long post, sorry if I go over ground you've already covered and hopefully there is something helpful in here for you. 

I know there is a note in JAMF deployment instructions about making sure your plist ends up in the managed preferences with the correct extension. That's more to do with making sure the file extension is right. 

If you are deploying the setting via a configuration profile as the previous commenter mentioned JAMF will deploy the setting out for you. You don't need to package it up and try and put it in the right spot. JAMF will do all the hard yards for you. 😉 That being said, have you double checked your server address matches exactly what is in PaperCut admin? The value for this is shown under Options>Advanced. Scroll down to Server Address. That should show you the DNS or IP currently defined. Also, you mention your print queues are already working. How are you current deploying them? JAMF print deployment policy?  

For my company, I wrote a custom JSON file instead of a plist with all the accepted values instead of a plist. Main reason I did that is I hate generating a new plist file if something changes also if you need to add extra value you do it easily in browser. If you want a copy, it's here 

Using the custom JSON file instead means the steps a little different. A few more steps but for settings that may change I'd say it's worth it. 

1. Log in to your Jamf Pro instance, for example, https://your-company.jamfcloud.com
  2. Click Computers > Configuration Profiles; then click + New.
  3. Type the display name and description.
  4. On the left, scroll down to Application and Custom Settings; then click Add.
  5. Click External ApplicationsAntMac_3-1717412585112.png

6. Change Source to Custom Schema
  7. For the Preference Domain enter com.papercut.printdeploy.client.
  8. Click Add Schema
  9. Copy and paste the code from my Git hub link above
  10. Click Save
  11. Click drop down under server_host and change to configuredAntMac_1-1717412443165.png

12. In the text box enter your papercut server information
  13. Click the Scope tab and deploy the file to the appropriate computers.
  14. Click Save.

JAMF will do the plist work for you and push it out to the machines you scope it to. 

AntMac_2-1717412558666.png

@AntMacthank you for going into so much detail. I'll give it a go and then let you know how I go. Thank you.