Password Issue with Outlook 2016 ver 16.12

Eigger
Contributor III

We have MAU Caching Server Setup and clients on Auto Download and Install, we noticed all clients who got their Office updated automatically to 16.12, their Outlook password starts to not work. Tried everything from NukeOffKeychain, Rebuilding Outlook Database, but no dice! The only thing that works for now is to downgrade Office to 15.40, Its possible that later version works, but I stick to 15.40 for now. Users are still on 10.12.6. Please help, calling on @pbowden

13 REPLIES 13

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

We have seen this problem as well, but it has been isolated to non-High Sierra machines and rolling back to 16.11 has been fine. I've opened a case with MS but have not received a solution, though they did say it looks to be a known issue.

Eigger
Contributor III

Thank you @andrew.nicholas Thats what I have noticed too. Please post back if you hear anything more from Microsoft about this issue.

simon86
New Contributor

Hello !
I think we have a similar problem recently (Outlook Mac 16.12 and Exchange Server 2013) but on high sierra 10.13.4
What version of exchange server do you have ?

Simon

Eigger
Contributor III

We have Exchange 2016. I also talked to our Exchange Admin and asked what change they made, and they said they applied Exchange Cumulative Update 9. Strangely enough, our troubles happened a few days after the patch. But I cant still figure out what causes this. I might have to call our exchange admins again to see if they can do a rollback and if there will be no implications if they do so.

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Hearing feedback from our field techs that the issue still persists with 16.13

Xopher
New Contributor III

@andrew.nicholas do you know if the persistent issue reported was with machines going from v16.11 --> v16.13 or from v16.12 --> v16.13? (i.e. the v16.12 --> v16.13 machines had not been rolled back to 16.11 first?).
Thanks

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

@Xopher The issue happened for both machines that went from 16.12->16.13 and one that went 16.12->16.11->16.13.

Eigger
Contributor III

I got this one on a forum. Unfortunately, I don't have a computer to test it with where I can replicate the problem, most of our staff already left for the summer, and it's not working on computers where I deleted the profile already.

Open Script Editor on the affected computer and type the following commands

tell application “Microsoft Outlook”
set background autodiscover of exchange account “your email address” to false
end tell

Press Play

Basically, the Microsoft rep is pointing to AutoDiscover. Please see link below. The workaround is not 100 % working but might for some.

[https://michaelkummer.com/technology/mac-outlook-keeps-asking-password/](link URL)

kiwillia
New Contributor II

@Eigger @andrew.nicholas @simon86 @Xopher We've had a ticket open with Microsoft for weeks on this issue. Today they recommended that we run this command (as admin or sudo). 'sudo defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook MsoHttpv2Outlook_override -bool NO'

It's fixed the ones we've tried it on so far so I thought I would share in case your users are still suffering from this. I'm not confident it will "stick" through future Outlook updates...

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Thanks for this. I’ll give it a shot on the affected machine I’ve been keeping set aside.

Eigger
Contributor III

@kiwillia Thank you for this. We also test the latest release 16.13.18052304 and it did fix the password issue for us.

kiwillia
New Contributor II

@Eigger and @andrew.nicholas - on Friday (5/25), the Microsoft engineer we have been working with sent us this message.

“Our PG has decided to pull the MsoHTTPv2 feature via flighting meaning that users will not have the feature enabled when they restart outlook. We no longer need to run the command to disable it.

Please ask users who are experiencing this issue to restart their outlook clients to see if the issue is now resolved”

Hopefully, that will be the end of that fiasco!

m39aman
New Contributor

Created an account just to add my two cents that this "workaround" whatever you wish to call it indeed DOES work. Been fighting the issue on a single Mac for over a month now so I greatly appreciate the posts.