Patch Management for OS Updates

mykool
New Contributor III

Is anyone currently using Patch Management feature in JAMF to manage OS updates? If so, has it been successful? Any issues with doing it this way?

4 REPLIES 4

cgolebio
New Contributor III

I used to, but the problem is that the updates should go by build number so that the security updates can be included, but instead seems only major and minor version updates are there. I built my own custom patch definition to address this. But even still, I use it more for reporting at present and instead use software update policies to kick off what I advertise through Reposado. Using Apple’s built in tools and kicking it off via JAMF Policy seems to work really well as they can manage software restarts, etc.

asher_wilkinson
New Contributor III

I try to, but I can't seem to get it to work. I have uploaded a .dmg file I made with the .app file we downloaded from the app store, but nothing happens when the computer reboots. We had to create a script that runs from the self-service portal and have to manually push it to each computer that way. You posted this back in June. Have you been able to get it to work, since then?

Espaay
New Contributor III

OS not updating any updates; please help.
We are on JAMF PRO 10.24 in the cloud. We in the past did have this defined in JAMF and was working great, others in our department wanted the patch team to address, so we removed the settings. Now as plan b they want JAMF to be able to patch and update on the side. We don't have defined in JAMF configuration profiles anymore, so all devices in the system preferencesSoftware Updates all are check marked. We want the devices to automatically get security updates, and notify use of an OS update. Running 10.15.6 on all, I see in software Update "Unable to check for updates" Can't load data from the Apple Update Server."
Launched terminal.app ran ping www.jamf.patch.jamfcloud.com
Results: PING std-legacyurl-def-elb-#####-1.elb.amazon.com 52.4.144.168 Request timeout for icmp_seq zero to 14 then I killed the process.

msergi
New Contributor III

I would LOVE to be using it, as it does work just fine when you have the right packages set up, however the catch is they do not have any grace period for the forced reboots, there is a Feature Request in to try to fix this but until that is done It is useless to me and my Org https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/feature-requests/7190/better-options-for-user-interaction-and-deferral-for-patch-and-all-policies