Plotter Drivers woe

tdenton
Contributor II

I'm in the process of updating our plotter drivers for our Z6DR.

I have taken the PKG out off the installer and uploaded to jamf.

Im having some issues around deploying it if a user is logged in it install without any issues.

However if no one is logged in It fails and I get this message
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Universal_PostScript
installer: Upgrading at base path / installer: The upgrade failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Universal_PostScript.pkg”.)

this just the installer as it come from HP as anyone see something smiliar when deploying print drivers

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

RaGL
New Contributor III

You can have a look via a package inspection tool, like "Suspicious Package" and see what the package actually is doing during the installation, maybe there's any process relying on a user being logged in.
https://www.mothersruin.com/software/SuspiciousPackage/

tdenton
Contributor II

Nothing jumping out @RaGL  not sure if this is related 

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 15.19.47.png

Seems to be talking about the preinstall script which use 

usr/bin/env ruby.

I have ruby under usr/bin/ but not env ruby I assume there is a difference.

RaGL
New Contributor III

If you search in "All Files" and "All Scripts", when you added your .pkg to "Suspicious Package", you should be able to see all the things it does. It might be tedious to go through all of the files and scripts, but might help to shed some light on this issue.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

There is likely something HP out in the post install script that cares if a user is logged in. Beyond breaking the package up, fixing their script and repackaging the thing, there is not much you can do. This is a situation I would reach out to the vendor for, the need to fix their scripts.